Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 1969 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : mark lewis                       1:3634/12.73       29 Feb 16 22:55:40
Кому : Stephen Hurd                                        29 Feb 16 22:55:40
Тема : FSP-1040.001 draft 0
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.73+56d514fd
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=71.fido-ftscpubl@1:103/1+1b3a11a9
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP437 ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=78.fido-ftscpubl@1:103/1+1b3b367c

29 Feb 16 23:59, you wrote to me:

ml>> with a PKT extension... this is, however, probably outside the range
ml>> of this document... i dunno...

SH> Yeah, it was pretty clear it was outside the realm of "Type 2
SH> compatible packet formats" and, if anyone actually uses it, should be
SH> documented in a different spec (since by definition it applies to
SH> non-type-2 packets).

yes and no... Type 2 PKTs and vairants have the same packed message body format... Type 3 and Type 10 proposals carry a different packed message body format...

SH>>> Yeah, but it's not the mailers that do the negotiation, it's the
SH>>> tossers/packers.

ml>> i don't see how they can do that without some sort of special PKTs
ml>> addressed to the tosser where the tossers can communicate back and
ml>> forth on their own similar to the way operators can send areafix
ml>> messages to the tossers and the  way that offline mail users can
ml>> communicate with a BBS' offline mail

SH> Basically, when you parse a packet, you save the capability word
SH> associated with the node.  When it comes time to packetize, you look
SH> at your saved copy of *their* capability word, and pick the highest
SH> packet format that they support and use that format.

when you parse a PKT with what? the mailer or the tosser or any PKT parser? some documents seem to assume that the tosser is doing all the packing but there are mailers that pack messages, too... i'm trying to draw attention to the distinction between them as far as negotiations of the preferred PKT type go... how is a Type 3 or Type 10 system going to negotiate a Type 3 or Type 10 preferred PKT format if only the tosser can negotiate this? how is the tosser going to convey this to the mailer?

ml>> :) that's ok, i can wait... i'd rather be able to point to certain
ml>> things in the most recent posted as they progress... personally i
ml>> think it is a good document so far... just a few tweaks here and
ml>> there to enable it to stand closer to being on its own...

SH> I plan to post the next draft in a couple days to give slow routes
SH> time to provide feedback.

understood but i don't know what qualifies as "slow routes" these days where 99% of the traffic is transmitted via the internet in a crash-me-crash-you format... my system is one of few that process mail on a timed schedule instead of an ASAP processing method ;)

SH>>> Anyway, the message body is defined as NUL terminated unlimited
SH>>> length and that's it.  Other standards already define control
SH>>> paragraphs, and the rest of the things that are defined are
SH>>> presentation details, not packing details.  No packer should need to
SH>>> worry about soft CRs for example.

ml>> true... i agree... FTS-0001 covers more than just mail packers,
ml>> though...

SH> Yeah, but this is very much *not* a replacement for FTS-0001.  I'm not
SH> the guy who's going to take that job on.  No sir.  This FSP is just
SH> for software dealing with packets.

i can understand that! there's not been many folks willing to stand up and propose a replacement for FTS-0001 in the last few decades though many have raised the spectre of replacing it and they have proffered<sp?> numerous reasons why it should be done...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey

... The trouble is that you think you have the time.
---
* Origin:  (1:3634/12.73)