Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 1999 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : mark lewis                       1:3634/12.73       03 Mar 16 21:08:46
Кому : Alexey Vissarionov                                  03 Mar 16 21:08:46
Тема : FSP-1040.001 draft 0
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.73+56d8f07d
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:5020/545+56d7e0dd
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP437 ==================================

03 Mar 16 09:00, you wrote to me:

AV>>> Obviously, yes: all other message editors are out-of-scope here.
ml>> really? what about all the new *nix based systems that use nano or vi

AV> They are generic text editors, not message editors.

a rose by any other name is still a rose ;)

[trim]

ml>> which is more important?

AV> Whether the msged will support UTF-8, would you use it?

definitely not if that ^ASOT/^AEOT garbase is still used in it...

AV> What if it will be a Linux-only fork?

see above...

AV>>> In practice, those users simply move to points.
ml>> not over here they don't... they never have... they live with the
AV>          ^^^^^^^^^
ml>> situation OR they find another BBS OR both... in some cases, they
ml>> might be able to get their sysop to find a new and better editor
ml>> for them to use but that won't help at all if the BBS doesn't place
ml>> the quotes in the temporary message file properly...

AV> I guess your "over here" means Z1... well, the users' choice is not as wide
AV> as it's in Z2 (and especially in R50)

this doesn't make sense... yes, your guess is correct... Z1 users have plenty of options they may choose from if they do not like the text editor used on a certain BBS... they may ask the sysop to install another text editor or they may simply select another BBS to use... if they have been doing their posting online, they may choose to use an offline mail capability like QWK or BlueWave... if they choose that option, they may be able to use their own external text editor instead of one that may be built into their offline mail reader... sure, it is possible that they may choose to become a point system but for many that is too much and too deep into the technology... they only want to be able to read and write messages... the KIS principle at work...

AV>  - the whole Z1 lists only 316 unique
AV> sysop names (some of them are listed 6 times, like you, or even 9
AV> times,
AV> like Kurt Weiske or RJ Clay), including obviously special names like
AV> "New_Sysop" (9), "new_sysop" (4), "New_Fido_SysOp" (4), "UUCP" (2),
AV> "New_SysOp" (2).

AV> However, the whole Fidonet is almost 6 times larger (1887 unique names), so
AV> here's much more options.

this has nothing to do with the discussion of text editors ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey

... Caffeine is a fundamental part of the geek diet.
---
* Origin:  (1:3634/12.73)