Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 6016 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : mark lewis                       1:3634/12.73       14 Feb 22 07:30:32
Кому : Oli                                                 14 Feb 22 07:30:32
Тема : MSGID
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.73+620a4b6b
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/464.47+620a1b96
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP437 ==================================
 On 2022 Feb 14 10:06:32, you wrote to Carlos Navarro:

Ol> So did anyone experience any problems with non-unique / repeating MSGIDs in
Ol> real life? Is it a real problem or just theoretical?

several operators who, for some unknown reason(s) seemed to reinstall their BBS software quite often, ran headlong into non-unique repeating MSGIDs when their systems would export newly written messages from their newly reinstalled setups... those messages were sidelined as dupes solely because of the duplicate MSGIDs even though the headers and message bodies were quite different... if they reinstalled three times in one week, i would see at least three sidelined messages from each posting test and all three of those messages would have the same serial number with quite different message bodies and header data...

i know about this because i let them know about the problem in case they were wondering why their posts were not getting any responses... i suspect they were simply not restoring some software config file that contained the last serial number used... they probably didn't even know about it if the data file even existed... in at least one case, the operator moved through two or three other BBS packages before finally settling on the one they are running now... this whole thing took place over 20 years or so...

we won't even comment about the packages that used CRC16 and/or CRC32 hashes for their serial number generators with no database of previously used numbers or any way of detecting they had already used a certain number...

)\/(ark

"The soul of a small kitten in the body of a mighty dragon. Look on my majesty, ye mighty, and despair! Or bring me catnip. Your choice. Oooh, a shiny thing!"
... After two days in hospital, I took a turn for the nurse.
---
* Origin:  (1:3634/12.73)