Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1011 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       07 Jan 14 17:45:48
Кому : Maurice Kinal                                       07 Jan 14 17:45:48
Тема : all over but the crying?
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/5003.4+52cc3606
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:153/7001.0+52cc150e
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:153/7001.0+52cc70b8
Hello Maurice!

07 Jan 14 14:54, you wrote to me:

KvE>> Ik think he wants it written as B├╢l.

MK> Could be but that isn't how I read it.  I thought he wanted it written as
MK> Bo├лl.

 O.K. after checking with my other display routine, where I originally
 expected the default for fidonet messages to be CP437 when ni CHARS
 kludge is present.

KvE>> how am I to know that is UTF-8?

MK> Read the Wiki page I sent you in a previous message.  It explains it way
MK> better than I can.  Pay attention to what they call the leading byte.
MK> That tells the tale and text can be scanned to see if it exists not unlike
MK> how pure 7-bit ascii codes can be scanned for.  A very powerful concept
MK> that all 8-bit codepages lack a simular strategy for.  Both ascii and
MK> utf-8 readily identify themselves as such and shouldn't require a kludge,
MK> especially not one meant for crippled systems ... especially not ones with
MK> some bogus level parameter.  ;-)

 We are talking about software that was developed, when code pages were the
 norm and UTF-8 only on the horizon. You cannot expect the above to be
 present.

MK> Anyhow if push comes to shove I'll turn it back on or just go back to
MK> pure
MK> ascii.  I have no issues using only 7-bit codes in text messaging.

 I think it would be nice if you put the kludge back in.

MK> I can say the same about the lack of the '+' character in your TZUTC
MK> kludge.  Try sending that to date in the appropriate position as is.  I'm
MK> willing to bet it fails without the '+' character.  I'd suggest you ditch
MK> that kludge as it is most definetly broken for half the world.  West of
MK> prime meridian is okay though since the '-' character is there but given
MK> your location that isn't doable.  Same with clocks set to UTC such as
MK> mine. Real standards (not FTSC) call for it to be expressed as +0000 which
MK> is why I decided it was best to turn my TZUTC kludge off rather than argue
MK> the point with silly FTSC people with blinders on.

 I am not shure that I can disable the use of the timezone kludge. But
 anyway as far as I am concerned this message should not leave fidonet.
 As Michiel indicated, it is apparently the norm in fidonet.
 If the message goed outside fidonet, many things have to be converted, the
 adding the + to the timezone should be a minor effort.

 Talking about the prime meridian, positions to the west have a minus added
 positions to the east do not have a plus added.

KvE>> My default is probably some IBM font

MK> I doubt it.  Usually it is a ISO-8859-1 based in Linux distributions by
MK> default although utf-8 is starting to become the default these days.  I
MK> compile my own kernels and have been making utf-8 the default for the last
MK> couple of years now.  I highly recommend it.

 Oh, mys systems default characterset is UTF-8, what I was indicating, is
 the default character set that is ussumed in Golded when no character
 kludge is available. Some stoneage message editors were developed before
 the CHRS kludge was defined. Remember Fidonet started in Z1 and the need
 for other character sets only developed when Fidonet spread over the world.
 So developers outside Z1 were probably the first to implement the option.

MK> However I have noted that your CHRS kludge's claim to being LATIN-1
MK> produces what appears to be the appropriate utf-8 code at this end so I am
MK> guessing that is correct.

 My screen is UTF-8, luit is used as a wrapper to have a latin-1 environment
 for golded, I could also set the characterset of the terminal to latin-1 and
 not use luit.

Kees

--- FPD v2.9.040207  GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)