Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 1331 из 7127 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       14 Oct 14 22:12:24
Кому : Maurice Kinal                                       14 Oct 14 22:12:24
Тема : FTSC-5001 question
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/5003.4+543d88dd
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:153/7001.0+543d7096
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:153/7001.0+543dbb7f
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:5020/545+543e2613
Hello Maurice!

14 Oct 14 18:51, you wrote to me:

MK> Hey Kees!

KvE>> All the above was implemented on very expensive mainframe and
KvE>> minicomputers.

MK> Back in the late 1980's VMS was most often the going thing on mainframes
MK> whereas so-called minicomputers often ran minix or BSD, usually BSD given
MK> it's earlier history.

 Where I worked we had quite some kit from HP as long as they called their
 systems desktop-calculator. This enabled us to bypass the IT department.
 But we were later absorbed anyway.

MK> Seems to me that minix dominated the 16-bit
MK> architectures way back then and dumb terminals wired into a VMS driven
MK> mainframe was all the rage.

 We were only a few miles away fron Andy Tannenbaum, but the minix had no
 backup from a corporate entity, so it did not enter into our world very much.

MK>   However I suppose this all depends on what
MK> one was exposed to at that time and your posted history is likely
MK> correct
MK> for early Fidonet development.  My first exposure to Unix was Sun's
MK> SparcStation running Solaris in the early 1990's.

 I still have a M20, but compared to current day Intel and AMD, it is slow.
 I will probably scrap it one ofe these days, the screen takes far to much
 space and requires extra support of the table ;)

 After the OS aged, I installed Linux, Sparc is no longer supported by Debian.

MK> Given the above, from my perspective back then, DOS never stood a
MK> chance.
MK> I never bothered with PC's until the first 32-bit processors started
MK> rolling out and even then made it a point to replace the crippled 16-bit
MK> software they usually came bundled with (5.25" bootable floppies at the
MK> start).

 Well we are still confronted with it's offspring ;(
 My last Fidonet activities on MS were with W95 for a node an XP for a point system.

KvE>> No, it is still there and is not maintained.

MK> Business as usual.  Good to see some things never change.  ;-)

 Well if you see what some people still proudly use, Russian Roulette seem
 safer.

KvE>> If you force the conservative people out of Fidonet, the net will
KvE>> lose it's current already weak momentum and die.

MK> Those people don't exist and what you see are actually cyber ghosts.
MK> Having said that, the conversion routine I use for local display of
MK> messages relies on the builtin obsolescence you appear to be referring to
MK> in the above quote.

 Well some of these ghosts can be quite verbal at times, but now I understand
 why they regurgitate the same subjects every so many years.

 As for the builtin obsolesence, I know your hobby-horse. That part may be
 an inconvenience, to me it is not the most worrying.

 My worries are more in the field of OS/2 Warp x.xxx,  WFW  and fossil based
 telnet shims in a world that is slowly moving to IPv6.

 Your answer will probably be: We are all to old to be present when that
 really becomes a problem.

Kees

--- FPD v2.9.040207  GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)