Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Aug 24 00:39:47, всего сообщений: 7127
= Сообщение: 606 из 7127 ======================================= FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         27 Nov 13 13:46:33
Кому : Alexey Vissarionov                                  27 Nov 13 13:46:33
Тема : UTF-8
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:280/5555+5295ece2
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:5020/545+5295c06c
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Алло Алексей

On Wednesday November 27 2013 13:31, you wrote to me:

MV>> Ah, yes, I remember now. Yes with a such a large library I can
MV>> understand why you want to save on disk space. And of course if
MV>> this is just local the encoding is not such a issue.

AV> They are available from outside, but every file carries a charset tag,
AV> so conversion isn't a problem.

AV> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="KOI8-R"?>

Ah, so it is not pure text! It is "rich text" in html.

MV>> You could however also save (significantly more) by using
MV>> compression while retaining UTF-8.

AV> It will ruin the ability to search through the library - say, with
AV> `egrep`.

Use zgrep instead.

MV>> KOI8 encoding carries the risk that others may not be able to
MV>> read it in 50 years when the world has gone completely Unicode
MV>> and has forgotten about all the dozens of local character sets
MV>> and accompabnying translation utilities...

AV> Once I've heard these words regarding 5.25 inch floppies...

I still have some 8" floppies lying around somewhere. But no drive to read them. Lat year when I cleaned out the attic, I discarded two boxes with paper tape (ASCII wit the high bit as parity bit) and punch cards (EBDDIC). I have no working tape- or  card reader any more.

AV> After that, I've heard them several times regarding various file
AV> formats and media. But most people who say these words tend to forget
AV> about quite long transition periods between the appearance of new
AV> technology and final disappearance of the old.

I have seen it almost form the beginning. The first working computer that I saw with my own eys was the ZEBRA. Its main memory was a rotating drum.

MV>> С уважением Михаил

AV> You've missed a comma before your name :-)

Yes, and I spelled it wrong. I spelled it as it sounds in "Michael Angelo". But the last syllable should sound like "eel".

С уважением, Михил

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320
* Origin: http://www.vlist.org (2:280/5555)