Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Jul 24 00:39:40, всего сообщений: 7125
= Сообщение: 3345 из 7125 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Alexey Vissarionov               2:5020/545         14 Nov 17 09:44:44
Кому : Carol Shenkenberger                                 14 Nov 17 09:44:44
Тема : Questions for them
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:5020/545+5a0ab496
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=6184.ftsc_pub@1:275/100+1e6f786f
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=1:3634/12.73+5a0ac77d
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:240/1661+5a08bb36
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:221/360+5a0acef5
Good ${greeting_time}, Carol!

13 Nov 2017 18:27:02, you wrote to me:

CS>>> 1. Which FTSC projects/products interest you the most? (can be
CS>>> several). Need not come with exact document name as some of them
CS>>> span several.
AV>> All, at least because I run the ftsc.org site containing them.
CS> grin, I like these questions because they arent the normal. They
CS> seem to bring out more of 'who we are' than the standard ones.
CS> Probably most here didnt kow you maintain the site.

Alas, I don't maintain the site - I only run it. That means, I maintain the server (actually, the container which may migrate among different servers), where the FTSC site resides.

As that was reminded by Fred, the position of site maintainer is vacant, and whether there would be any volunteers, they are welcome.

CS>>> 3. If you have been a *C and experienced a site that needed
CS>>> alternative to normal delivery, how did you deal with it?
AV>> Does the "site" mean "node" here?
CS> Yes. I'm not expecting something as wild as me at sea for months

That's not really wild... Properly set and tuned node may work in "autopilot" mode for months or even years, and the only duty of the sysop is to be in touch via netmail.

CS> Like possibly node/site has to be emailed instead of netmailed
CS> due to frequent travel or something like that. Idea is 'out of
CS> the normal pattern'.

The short answer: no. If the node is a part of Fidonet, it _must_ accept netmail. How to do that - that's another question.

CS>>> If you have not experienced that, what do you think you would do?
AV>> I have such experience, and (just a small) part of my knowledge is
AV>> being (slowly) written as a FSP.
CS> Works for me! BTW, I am in on some of that if I catch your meaning.

Well, yes... English in not my native language, but I'd try to do my best explaining this.

People who want to get Fidonet links (primarily for echomail feeds) have different types of Internet connections: most are behind dumb NATs, some connections are additionally limited on which outer services are allowed (especially in corporate networks) and some are just enormously expensive (mobile connections being the most obvious example). So, to provide these downlinks with echomail, we have to find methods of circumventing all the restrictions they have.

CS>>> 5. How good do you think you are at working with others, especially
CS>>> if their view is opposite to yours? How do you handle that?
AV>> That heavily depends of the opponents' experience and competence:
AV>> I'd consider more seriously the person who writes FTN software or
AV>> runs a large distribution node, than a chatterbox from a two-human
AV>> "network" (or even "region").
CS> Fair enough that this is your call.

Yes - that's fair and it works.
I'm not a golden sovereign for everyone to like me.

AV>> Two numbers to compare:
AV>> gremlin@nb:~/dev/husky/hpt > git log | grep ^commit | wc -l
AV>> 68
AV>> gremlin@fido:~ > grep ^link ~/fido/etc/links | wc -l
AV>> 202
CS> Smile, you may have to explain that to the average person here trying
CS> to figure out who to vote for as the RC calls come out. Most are not
CS> *nix admin or use husky.

Actually, I don't care... We (in R50) have active development of the FTN software, but nobody else want to participate in FTSC.

Guess, why.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-cmlxxvii-mmxlviii

... that's why I really dislike fools.
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)