Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Apr 24 01:17:44, всего сообщений: 7124
= Сообщение: 5985 из 7124 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Rob Swindell                     1:103/705          12 Feb 22 13:39:13
Кому : Tim Schattkowsky                                    12 Feb 22 13:39:13
Тема : Re^2:  Directly include binary data in messages
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=31444.ftsc_pub@1:103/705+266dd9d5
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=2:240/1120.29+32b1a387
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP437 ==================================
  Re: Re^2:  Directly include binary data in messages
  By: Tim Schattkowsky to Rob Swindell on Sat Feb 12 2022 09:58 pm

> //Hello Rob,//
>
> on *12.02.22* at *20:10:52* You wrote in Area *FTSC_PUBLIC*
> to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"Re: Directly include binary data in
> messages"*.
>
>  RS> MIME includes a standardized type value that is non-ambiguous for a
>
> I know. Still not related to your main point, that there should be no file
> name ;)

I asked what the value of the filename was, and you said to determine the content-format of the <almost-binary-data>. I'm saying there's a better way to do that: standard mime/media types.

So... the other reason to have a filename would be to suggest a filename for the local storage system (e.g. if the reader wanted to extract the file from the message)? If that's the case, then I would propose a better tag for your control paragraph would be FILE, e.g.

But if you want message viewers to be able to potentially nicely handle (e.g. display) the content, then I would definitely suggest adding the mime/media type value as well. e.g.

>  RS> reason: filenames are not the best methods for determining a file's
>  RS> content type. Is it .jpeg, .JPEG, .jpg, .jpe, .jfif, or .jif? All of
>  RS> these are valid JPEG file extensions, but there's only one
>  RS> corresponding MIME-type (aka Internet media type): image/jpeg.
>
> From the past when I was implementing (among many other things) a web
> server, I also know that this is in fact not fully true because there are
> also a lot of ambiguities when it comes to MIME types in the real world.

No ambiguities with the main/popular types and much *less* ambiguity than with filenames, for all media types.

> Here, the clear intention would be to either go with the existing standards
> (maybe pick a subset) or do something very simple. The thing is, that using
> existing standards, DOS-based software will be practically not able to
> include such functionality as library support does not exist (for obvoious
> reasons) and MIME handling alone can easily be mode code that a whole simple
> approach to the problem.

I think you're depending on DOS-based software to most likely just ignore/skip-past this new control paragraph. So it doesn't really matter its format/content, so long as it is very backwards-compatible.

> Also, I am not sure that we really want to essentially deliver HTML email
> with embedded pictures over fido.

I didn't mention HTML. I was just suggesting that if you want to insure compatibility with all existing standards-compliant FidoNet software, to use only US-ASCII non-control characters in your <almost-binary-data> encoding (base64 being the obvious best practice for this type of encoding). Whether or not DOS-based software has a base64 decoding library is pretty irrelevant. The critical thing is that it doesn't choke on a message or a packet due to the existance of your proposed/new control paragraph.
--
                                            digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #41:
Ian Faith: It say's "Memphis show cancelled due to lack of advertising funds."
Norco, CA WX: 86.4°F, 10.0% humidity, 4 mph SW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)