Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции FTSC_PUBLIC с датами от 13 Sep 13 18:57:24 до 01 Jul 24 00:39:40, всего сообщений: 7125
= Сообщение: 3299 из 7125 ====================================== FTSC_PUBLIC =
От   : Carol Shenkenberger              1:275/100          11 Nov 17 10:36:59
Кому : Flavio Bessa                                        11 Nov 17 10:36:59
Тема : Latest dump...
FGHI : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=6143.ftsc_pub@1:275/100+1e6c671a
На   : area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=4:801/189.1+5a059ea7
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://FTSC_PUBLIC?msgid=4:801/189.1+5a0ef8e7
  Re: Latest dump...
  By: Flavio Bessa to Bill McGarrity on Fri Nov 10 2017 10:41 am

FB>>> That's fine. Any chances that this might have affected
FB>>> other Synchronet
FB>>> systems?

BM>> Most likely those who updated between Oct. 31st and Nov. 5th. were
BM>> affected. ANyone using sbbsecho below 3.49 and 3.51 were affected.
BM>> Release 3.54 is now the current one which resolved the issue.

FB> We have a few Synchronet nodes in Brazil, I'll let the Sysops know
FB> about this. Thank you.

Yes, I let a few of mine know but mostly I seem a hotbed of Mystic development
folks.  Best thing to pass to them Flavio, is auto-updating can have it's
issues if it involves a tosser.

Here's simple steps that maybe we can develop into something in an FTSC product
line though the old 'How-To' FAQ set seems to have fallen by the wayside.

----
When swapping software, nodenumber or tossers, there can be issues causing
duplicate messages going out.  Any one of the 3 or any combination needs to be
done carefully to prevent this. Shifting feeds and not properly detaching from
the old feed, can also cause problems.  {author note, adding that later if
folks seem to want it, it's close but not addressed below}

1. The first step before you upgrade or change anything, is to deliver all
outbound you have, or as much as you can. {author note: it's a bit more complex
if you have downlinks and are changing node numbers, add details later at need}
- Be sure to run a fresh outbound run and deliver that.
- If you feed many, make a snapshot that shows what undeliverable files go to
who.

2.  Drop your mailer.  This will stay down for the rest of the process to
prevent exporting your message base. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
- Copy any undeliverable from your outbound directory to someplace your mailer
knows nothing about.  Now, delete all that are in your outbound directory.  You
will file attach them later.

3.  Make a system backup of your BBS so you can roll back if something doesn't
go right.
- Now start reading any upgrade docs carefully depending on what you are doing.
- It may be a smaller thing like just a tosser.  Auto-updating tossers is
generally not recommended.
- Move any inbound you may have to a separate place your tosser doesnt know
about.  You will move this back later.

4.  Once you have followed all the directions and placed the upgrade in place,
run your outbound routine.  You should see no outbound packets built.
Exception, if you have any game leagues, you may produce tiny updates but they
will be 1k.  BRE is an example of that when running under SBBS and automation
events.  Those are harmless.
- If you built anything significant other than a game packet, side line it to
someplace else your tosser doesnt know about so you can look at it later.  This
is a duplicating message base.  You will never put it back in outbound but it
can be useful to see what was going on later.  It can be especially ccritical
to have that later for the developer.
- Run your tosser outbound again.  You should see nothing built (exception,
potential tiny game packets again which depending on game, can happen every
toss).
- If you had untossed inbound, now copy it back to your inbound directory and
make one more outbound toss. If you feed others, you should see a normal sized
load for them.  It you do not feed others, you should not see anything (again,
except tiny game packets in a league game potentially).

5.  Bring up your mailer again at last.  If you had undeliverable files for
downlinks, use the notes you took earlier and attach them to the correct sites.
- Make a mailer run with your uplink.  Watch and as soon as it ends, it is best
to drop mailer again for a little bit to make sure your outbound is normal but
that is only a triple protection.
- {author note, this is where you can see you built packets for your old uplink
if you swapped feeds but this FAQ doesn't go in depth on it. Can be added later
but it means you forgot to remove the old uplink when you swapped so you are
backfeeding from the new uplink to the old uplink.)

------ end draft

Ok it's not perfect but I can move this to another area more appropriate since
we are in election mode here to clear traffic, or wait for the election to
finish if folks here want to help work on it as a ready resource.

  xxcarol

--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)