FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2175 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Jeff Smith                       1:14/5             18 Feb 16 00:54:12
Кому : Andrew Leary                                        18 Feb 16 00:54:12
Тема : Bill not answering on IPv6 for several weeks now?
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=1:14/5@fidonet+56c573c4
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:320/219@fidonet+56c51102
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP437 ==================================
Hello Andrew.

17 Feb 16 18:46, you wrote to Michiel van der Vlist:

AL> Hello Michiel!

AL> 16 Feb 16 17:00, you wrote to me:

MV>> Hello Andrew,

MV>> On Tuesday February 16 2016 04:04, you wrote to Bill McGarrity:

AL>>> I've noticed that Comcast tends to change their IPv6 assignments
AL>>> occasionally for no apparent reason.

MV>> Why not just ask them?

AL> Based on past experience, it takes nearly an hour on the phone before
AL> you get to someone in their support department that has any clue what
AL> they are talking about, and that is with IPv4 issues.  Most of their
AL> staff seems to have no clue whatsoever what IPv6 is.

AL>>> [..] It wouldn't surprise me if this was done by Comcast to
AL>>> discourage the use of server applications on their residential
AL>>> service.

I have Centurylink (Qwest) as an ISP. And I have had a simular experience
with them for some years now. But, they are probably the best of what is
available in my area. I remember talking to their tech support and I swear
I could hear the person turning the page as they were talking to me. I don't
claim any particular abundance of knowledge but I sensed I had more of a handle
on the subject at hand than they did. The same was true when I talked to them
about IPv6 IP's. After being transfered several times and talking to several
people. They finally admitted not being able to help me or being able to provide
me with technical and status info on their implementation of IPv6 IP's.

MV>> That, or they are resetting their systems for maintenance or
MV>> taking care of child diseases. Maybe the IPv6 part of their
MV>> network is still a bit unstable.

AL> This is possible.  The assignments don't change very often, but I
AL> haven't been able to nail down the exact time frame.

I have had a block of static IPv4 IP's for some years now. And other than
getting them to correctly setup reverse PTR records and the like. I have
been able to deal with their service. Years ago prior to Qwest I had Comcast as an
ISP. They seemed more geared toward the typical home internet user. I quickly
found out that Comcast blocked some of the usual ports used for IT software. And
didn't offer static IP's. I also recall an ongoing problem with their modem
hardware.

MV>> If it is indeed to discourage running servers, I predict it will
MV>> not be effective. People have found work arounds for dynamic IPv4
MV>> adresses. Similar methods will emerge for IPv6 if ISPs are making
MV>> a habit of it.

AL> Agreed.  A FidoNet node, even one carrying the full backbone and
AL> filebone, doesn't put nearly the load on the network that streaming
AL> services such as NetFlix and the like do.

Given the average speed of today's conections (At least around here) running
FTN software has next to no ipact on the connection here. That is including
web,ftp, bbs, mailer, email, news servers running here. I remember trying to
run my BBS years ago on a dialup connection and spending 90 minutes transfering
a 500k file. <g>

AL> Andrew

AL> --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20160201
AL> * Origin: Phoenix BBS * phoenix.bnbbbs.net (1:320/219)

Jeff

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20070503
* Origin:  Region 14 IP Server - ftn.region14.org (1:14/5)