FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3796 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Nicholas Boel                    1:154/10           30 Nov 16 17:57:20
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               30 Nov 16 17:57:20
Тема : Cable modem change
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+583f69bc
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+583ef52f
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+583f7506
Hello Michiel,

On 30 Nov 16 15:51, Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Nicholas Boël:

MV> Coming to think of it, they never asked me to return my 10+ year old
MV> Motorola modem either...

As long as they're not charging you for it. Enjoy your new 10+ year old modem! :)

MV> Here we do not have that choice. There is no rent for the modem
MV> specified on the bill. Officially you do not rent it, it is given on
MV> loan "for free". I presume this is a legal construction that allows
MV> them to force you to use their modem. If they would rent it out for a
MV> fee, the customer could refuse.

Good point. I'm guessing our ISPs here all don't force their equipment then, as they charge monthly for *everything*, including cable set top boxes, routers, any security equipment they offer, etc. I've always had my own router, but never bothered buying a modem yet.

MV> Like you, I would very much prefer the German model. Not just because
MV> owning your own stuff usually is cheaper in the long run but also
MV> because the stuff from the providers is not all that good. There is
MV> much better equipment to be had on the open market. I'd go for a
MV> Fritzbox cable modem if I has the choice.

I haven't done enough studying on modems to have an opinion on what's good or not. I currently have a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 which seems to have all the bells and whistles I currently need and/or want.

I would probably have bought a new modem on my own if it were to give considerably better speeds, but I'm currently paying for 50mb/5mb, and speedtest.net reports 60/6.. so I can't really complain. :)

MV> They can see the MAC, so they should be able to see that it jas been
MV> registered before. But they do re-issue refurbished modems, so seeing
MV> a previously issued modem turn up at another customer is not an error
MV> condition per sé.

That's probably the case, then.

MV> Like that the web interface of the modem is not reaceable via IPv6. So
MV> this box is not usable in an IPv6 only environment...

Are you trying to connect to your fe80:* address? Or the actual address given by your provider?

MV> So.. in your case it is not "official" either. It can go away
MV> tomorrow...

Exactly. And like you, I have just disabled my he.net tunnel in case anything were to go wrong I won't be without IPv6 for long.

Regards,
Nick

... "Не знаю. Я здесь только работаю."
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20160827
* Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)