FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3346 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Tony Langdon                     3:633/410          09 Aug 16 09:35:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               09 Aug 16 09:35:00
Тема : Re: IPV6 and Netgear
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=1803.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1c0e55aa
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+57a8ee36
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+57aa3533
-=> Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

MvV> This confusing way of presenting the IPv6 firewall options seems to be
MvV> common among router manufacturers. I have a combined Cable modem +
MvV> router from Cisco. There is a tab "security" with a subtab for
MvV> "firewall". That allows for enabling or disabeling the IPv6 firewall.
MvV> Also enabling things like enabeling port scan detection, amd flood
MvV> detection.

Ahh, OK.  My router only has the one place to control the IPv6 firewall, AFAIK.

MvV> In a completely dirfferent part there is a tab "Applications and
MvV> gaming" there is a section "Port Range Frowarding". IPv4 and IPv6 are
MvV> covered in one and the same section. You choose and external port range
MvV> (start port and end port) an internal IP adress, the IP type, internal
MvV> port range and protocol (TCP/UDP/Both).

Yes, my router has an extra IPv6 tab in the same area where IPv4 port
forwarding is configured.  The tab is separate, so the dialog boxes are IPv6
specific, not shared with IPv4 port forwarding.

MvV> For IPv4 it is old hat. But when you change the IP type there are two
MvV> other choices, IPv6 or MACv6. If you choose one of these the boxes for
MvV> the external port range gray out. You can only enter an internal port
MvV> range. That one can not eneter both an external and an internal port
MvV> range makes sense, there is no port /translation/. But it is confusing
MvV> at first because the external port range is the two most left boxes,
MvV> which one naturally would try to enter first.

I get a dialog box where you put in the "interface ID", which is the host part
of the IPv6 address.  There's also options to select ports, or you can click
the "exposed host" button, which disables the firewall entirely for that host.

MvV> The internal IPv6 address defaults to ::. Which in a way also makes
MvV> sense. Interesting is the option "MACV6". Instead of the IPv6 addres,

That is an interesting option.  I don't have that one that I know of, but I can
see it being quite useful.

MvV> one enters the MAC addres of the interface. Usefull if one does not
MvV> hava a static IPv6 prefix. Then you do not have to change the table
MvV> every time the IPv6 prefix changes.

Another useful option, and again, I don't think I have that one.

MvV> I can understand why they do it this way, but I find it undesirable
MvV> from an edecucational POV. While it hase the same goal: having an
MvV> uncoming packet reach its inteded destination, the mechanism is
MvV> completely different. As you say for IPv6 it is not NAPT, it is a
MvV> packet filter.

Yes, it will lead to confusion for the average punter.

MvV> What is a bit unclear is how it deals wikt ICMP. There is an option in
MvV> the firewal setting "block anonymous internet requests". It is unclear
MvV> if it applies to both IPv4 and IPv6 or to both. It is activated by
MvV> default. By default it rejects PING.  So I have deactivated it and now
MvV> all IPv6 devices on the LAN are pinagble. It has no way to be more
MvV> specific, so I assume all ICMP is allowed.

Only way ICMP echo (ping) is allowed to hosts behind the router is if I use the
exposed host option.  There is another option in the firewall setup to allow
ICMP echo, but that's for the router itself, and I'm unsure if that affects
IPv6 as well as IPv4.

... You tell 'em Bean, He's stringing you.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
* Origin: Freeway BBS - freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)