FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3760 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Markus Reschke                   2:240/1661         20 Nov 16 17:26:42
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               20 Nov 16 17:26:42
Тема : Fiber
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+582b0a60
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5831b470
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+5831e646
Hi Michiel!

This might be interesting for others on how to do the right thing on the long term regarding fiber. It's also a brief story about Internet in my small town.

I'm living a small town in an agricultural region about 40km north of Frankfurt/Main. When DSL came along, it was clear that it won't happen soon here. Since other towns in the area had the same issue a project run by a few companies started to deploy WLAN. It's called DSL-on-air, was (is?) quite expensive and all customers have to share one low-speed uplink. The design is fairly simple. A WLAN PtP uplink to some town with DSL and a few APs distributed across the local town. The main AP is just a few houses away from me. IIRC, the owner of that house got free access for providing location and power. DSL-on-air uses standard APs with a modified firmware for the customers, who had to pay a hefty installation fee. Just as a funny side note, after a while Deutsche Telekom sent some DSL flyers to everone in my town. But it took about 10 years until they've delivered.

Since I was involved in WLAN/WMAN product evaluation and feasibility tests at that time, I knew at the spot that I wouldn't join DSL-on-air. Deutsche Telekom introduced a low-speed DSL version called DSL light, which was 386kbps downstream, to increase their DSL reach. I knew that a neighboring town just got a DSLAM, and that my neighbor got her ISDN routed via that other town for capacity reasons. Also that the other town was within the supported range of DSL light. So we asked Deutsche Telekom for DSL light. Bingo! I've added an AP as WLAN bridge for me and we had DSL. It must have been the first DSL in my town.

A few years later our government, also the local one, started initiatives to get internet access to rural areas, i.e. subsidies. The local municipal requested some subsidies to get DSL to the small towns without offical DSL access. The deal with Deutsche Telekom was to deploy a DSLAM per town. That means also fiber between the towns for backhauling the DSLAMs. My town extended that deal to three DSLAMs to provide everyone with the fastest DSL possible. The town's part of that deal was to lay the fiber ducts. So the town asked for support in form of labor, machinery or money. Now comes the important point which will haunt my town in future: fiber politics. The town's officials were so keen on the fast DSL, that they forgot about a very important thing while negotiating the deal. The fiber duct the town's people put into the street is owned by Deutsche Telekom. So any new provider, which might come, is forced to buy from Deutsche Telekom or lay own ducts. If they would have made a contract about providing usage of the duct to Deutsche Telekom for free for unlimited time, the town could also simply provide usage to another telco, i.e. decreasing the required investment for that telco and attacting competition.

So we get back to the fiber problem. From my experience we'll only get FTEH (E = every), when it's done by the municipals, implying that the municipal owns the ducts and the fiber. A few towns recognized that and rolled out their citizen fiber. The result is fast Internet access and very competitive prices. A telco has only to invest in connecting the central office, which is cheap compared to also taking care about connecting customers via own fiber.

In the US telcos are afraid of this and lobbying politicans to pass laws prohibiting municipal fiber networks, as it would create competition. Because we got more competition in the EU (enforced by regulation), telcos here are more likely supporting municipal networks, as they see the benefits. They don't have to invest huge sums, while still making profit using the municipal networks as last mile to the customer. There are already a few great examples of that team work. If you live in one of the right towns you could simply change your provider within minutes via accessing the municipal's customer support web page. I'm not kidding. This is real! And I hope this becomes the new standard.

ciao,
Markus

---
* Origin: *** theca tabellaria *** (2:240/1661)