FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 08 Oct 24 18:47:55, всего сообщений: 7442
= Сообщение: 658 из 7442 ============================================== IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         11 May 14 16:19:03
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       11 May 14 16:19:03
Тема : UPC IPv6 speed test
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+536f86d8
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/701+536ecff8
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=132.2ipv6@1:266/404+17d4cf0d
Hello Nicholas,

On Saturday May 10 2014 20:19, you wrote to me:

MV>> http://ipv6-test.com/speedtest/

NB> That site didn't give me good results.

Same here. But my point was that the bad results are a constant. And depending on the server that is selected. Which makes me conclude that it does not say all that much about MY end of the pipe.

NB> Though I'm a cable customer, so it could be congested at the moment.

I am on cable too and I have never experienced bad throughput that I could relate to local congestion.

NB> At that site my IPv6 score is half of what my IPv4 one is. Then again,
NB> that site doesn't show latency or anything like that either, so who
NB> knows.

I think it is pretty useless. It says more about their connection to the backbone than mine.

MV>> It is a bit difficult to compare because my ISP upped my IPv4
MV>> speed from 20/2 to 30/3 earlier this month.

NB> Well, that was nice of them anyways. I pay extra for a 30/5
NB> connection. I don't even know what the normal hookup is, maybe 1.5/512
NB> or something?

I can't pay less, 30/3 is the lowest they offer. For EUR 10 a month more I get 90/9 and for another tenner it is 180/18. 30/3 is more than I need. Two years ago it was 10/1, then they upped it to 20/2 and now to 30/3. So they stay ahead of the DSL competiton wityh the low speeds. With the highest speeds, they compete with the FTTH guys that are active in some densily populated parts of the country.

MV>> I just ran another test,I disabled my SixXs tunnel, so that my
MV>> main machine also uses the he.net tunnel. Then I get the same
MV>> rusult as with Rosa's machine on the he.net tunnel.

MV>> So maybe the NEXT bottleneck is my WRT54GL that limits the speed
MV>> via the he.net tunnel at 15 - 16 Mbps,

As you noticed the WRT54GL was never designed for IPv6, it definitely does not have IPv6 dedicated hardware and as it is, with 30 Mbbps om IPv4 it may already run close to its limits.  Doing something about it is not high on my list of priorities. I do not need the speed and the days of the WRT54Gl as my main router are numbered anyway. There are signs my ISP is finally making some moves toward IPv6 and I expect to have native IPv6 somewhere between coming Xmas and the next.

When that happens my (actually my ISP's) good old faithful Motorola SBV5120E will have to make room for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It is almost certain my ISP will give me a modem with build in router. I may or may not like what I get, but investing now in a new router that probably will only be used for another 6 to 18 month, is not on top of my list of options.

MV>> but for the SixXs tunnel it is not the bottleneck and neither is Xp.

NB> You have entirely too much stuff going on over there. :)

If you say so... ;-)

MV>> Maybe it is Aiccu. Maybe is is something further down the line.

NB> Being a residential customer, you'll probably never know the real
NB> reason for it, either. Here you can call them and ask,

If by "them" you mean my ISP, then yes, I can ask. But I won't get an answer because "they" have nothing to do at all with my IPv6 access. What they sell is IPv4 at 30/3 and that is what I get. They deliver what they advertise.

Ask SixXs? Thanks, but no thanks. My experience with asking SixXs is that their standard answer is RTFM.

NB> but most of the normal customer service people have no clue what
NB> you're talking about, so they direct you to "tier 3 support". Most of
NB> them think they know way more than you, so don't tell you what they
NB> don't think you need to know. :|

The best help desk is the one you never need....

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320
* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)