FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 08 Oct 24 18:47:55, всего сообщений: 7442
= Сообщение: 727 из 7442 ============================================== IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         16 May 14 22:13:57
Кому : Markus Reschke                                      16 May 14 22:13:57
Тема : Comcast & IPv6
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+537673bf
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+536a9252
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/464+5376796f
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+536a9254
Hello Markus,

On Friday May 16 2014 17:59, you wrote to me:

MR>>> There are several methods to get IPv6 to the CPE,

MvdV>> Isn't that over once native IPv6 becomes the rule rather than
MvdV>> the exception?

MR> It depends on the methods choosen by the providers. If they agree on a
MR> few common types it would make things more simple. Take classic PPPoE
MR> for example. Since PPP supports the transport of multiple protocols
MR> PPP can transport also IPv6 in parallel with IPv4. But you could also
MR> use a second PPPoE session for IPv6.

Here the provider give preconfigred modem/routers to their customers. That way the customers need not be bothered with these details.

MR> Another issue will be IPv4, i.e. the lack of addresses.

One thing us for sure: the use of CGNAT is unavoidable. The ordinaty customer will not get a public IPv4 address. If he wants to run servers, he will have to make to with IPv6 or pay extra for the public IPv4 address.

MR> That's going to reverse the current situation. Youl'll have native
MR> IPv6 but IPv4 is tunnelled. One strategy is to tunnel IPv4 to the
MR> provider's NAT platform which will share public IPv4 addresses.

Or it wil be fully dual stack. Again preconfigured modem/routers will see to it that oe the Plunm,ber need not be bothered with that.

MR>>> several ways how addresses and prefixes are assigned, and
MR>>> there's the issue how addresses and prefixes are assigned in the
MR>>> LAN.

MvdV>> Indeedd, but if done right, Joe the Plumber need not be
MvdV>> bothered with that.

MR> There are DHCP, SLAAC and a combination of both. If the provider gives
MR> a cheatsheet to Joe, he might be able to follow that and configure his
MR> router. Haven't seen much providers doing that.

I expect Kees and Wilfred can tell you more anout it. The both have native IPv6. I did not hear them about difficulties configuring their CPE.

MR> For DTAG VoIP I had to reverse engineer their VoIP gateway address
MR> plan to be able to create a secure config for my SIP gateway. Very
MR> professional ;-(

Hmm...

MR>>> Also we have to deal with subprefix delegation to other routers
MR>>> in the LAN.

MvdV>> That is still unchartered territory for me. I have just one
MvdV>> router and one /64 in use. It is enough for me right now, but I
MvdV>> can see that having more than one subnet might be useful in
MvdV>> some situations. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

MR> Native IPv6 comes with a /48 or /56 for the LAN(s)

Or perhaps just a /60.

MR> and a /64 for the transfer network. And the next marketing hype is IoT
MR> (Internet of Things) which I wouldn't place in my normal LAN.

Good point, but I don't know if I want my fridge and washing machine on the net anyway...

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320
* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)