FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 08 Oct 24 18:47:55, всего сообщений: 7442
= Сообщение: 741 из 7442 ============================================== IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         18 May 14 14:47:05
Кому : Markus Reschke                                      18 May 14 14:47:05
Тема : Comcast & IPv6
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5378afb5
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+536a9257
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+536a9258
Hello Markus,

On Sunday May 18 2014 13:07, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> That is good news, but of course it will only affect a small
MvdV>> minoritty.  Most users are perfectly happy with their
MvdV>> preconfigured CPE.

MR> Recently there was an security problem with AVM's Fritzbox routers

I heard about that. But since I do not have a Fritz!box in use, I did not read about all the details.

MR> The security issue is that someone could retrieve passwords remotely.
MR> That was used to reconfigure the VoIP part and allowed third parties
MR> to make telephone calls via the hacked Fritzbox for free, i.e. paid by
MR> the Fritzbox's user.

Yes, so I heard.

Of course these problems are not limited to Fritz!box. Didn't Sisco routers have security problems also recently?

MR> AVM fixed the problem and released new firmwares, but the enforced
MR> routers got their updates a few days later because of the modified
MR> firmware versions.

MR> If you own the router, you'll have to pay those calls. We got a law
MR> about liability for bad products but it doesn't include pecuniary
MR> losses. And you know those EULAs.

Here in The Netherlands EULAs do not go above the law.

MR> And what about the users with an enforced router which is owned by the
MR> provider?

I think it is pretty clear: you can not be held responsible for what you do not control.

MR> At first the providers told the involved customers that they (the
MR> customers) have to pay.

That would not fly here. The customer had no way to prevent that others made those call. If the provider owns the router and controls it, the provider is responsible. In turn he can try to claim compensation from the manufacturer, but the customer is not responsible.

MR> When the security issue went public in the main media and customers
MR> complained about the enforced routers the providers backed down.

As they always do...

MR> It was one of those famous "without any prejudice" back downs to avoid
MR> a leading decision by a court. So we still don't know if the provider
MR> is reliable for any damages caused by his enforced router.

Here there is a procedure to geta case to court anyway. "een proefproces uitlokken". It is usually done by consumer organisations or other to setlle matters like these.

MR> There's a similar problem with the cloudification of SOHO routers. Who
MR> will pay the bill if the vendor's cloud is hacked and therefore your
MR> router too?

Unchartered territory for the lawyers.

Is there any indications we will see more of these issues with the coming of IPv6?

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320
* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)