FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 1203 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Jan 15 12:13:34
Кому : Bill McGarrity                                      08 Jan 15 12:13:34
Тема : binkd completed...
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+54ae6bfc
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=660.2ipv6@1:266/404+19131615
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+549aa643
Hello Bill,

On Wednesday January 07 2015 19:57, you wrote to me:

MvV>> Ehhh??? That makes no sense to me. One of the advantages of IPv6
MvV>> is that it would free us from this "dynamic IP" burden. IPv6
MvV>> adresses are supposed to be STATIC. If your IPv6 address keeps
MvV>> changing, there is something that should not be as it is...

BM> Well, then I guess they didn't get the memo about it being static
BM> either.  I thought it was just like Normally4.

I do not know what you mean by "Normally4". Address assigment for IPv4 is very different from that of IPv6 however. With IPv4 you get ONE address from your ISP. That address has to be shared by every device on your LAN that uses the internet. The mechanism for sharing is NAT.

With IPv6 you get a RANGE of addresses. Large enough to give every device on your LAN its own globally routable IPv6 address. The first 64 bits of the range is called the prefix. Actually the range is larger than that, but we will ignore that for the moment. The ISP communicates the range to the customer's router by prefix delegation.

The last 64 bits of the IPv6 address is called the host part. They are assigned locally. Either by DHCP6, SLAAC or manually by the user. The ISP has no part in that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I have seen from the addresses that you published is that they all had the same prefix. Only the last 64 bits changed. This means that these address changes occur locally. It is not a dynamic address coming from your ISP.

In theory IPv6 addresses could be dynamic, but in that case it would be the prefix that changes. This does not seem to be the case with you.

Dynamic addresses were used with IPv4 to conserve addresses. An IP adrees could be assigned to another user when the previous one logged out. This made sense in the age of dial up IP. It does not make sense with IPv6 with (semi) permanent connections and no shortage of addresses.

BM>  I'll keep checking anyway for awhile.

Keep doing that.

BM> Normally I never lose my IPv4 address as well unless I'm disconnected
BM> from Comcast for 30+ minutes or so.

My IPv4 address is also dynamic in theory. In practise it is static. I do not know how long I have to disconnect to lose it, but it is longer than a day.

My IP addresses are tunnels, they are static.

BM> Either way I'm learning... :)

We all are. ;-)

* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)