FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 1965 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         18 Jan 16 12:40:44
Кому : Björn Felten                                        18 Jan 16 12:40:44
Тема : ISPs and their stone age POV
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+569cdb3f
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:203/2+569c8ba4
Hello Björn,

On Monday January 18 2016 07:52, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> Those will have to be replaced anyway to upgrade to VDSL and
MvdV>> VDSL+ in order to keep up...

BF>    That will never happen in Sweden TTBOMK. The VDSL train left our
BF> station many years ago. The entire xDSL technology is a blast from the
BF> past here.

Here DSL is still in full swing. KPN (the incumbant) claims I can have 75 Mbps via vectoring and pair bonded VDSL. Bringing two pairs to every home has been SOP since the early seventees, so pair bonding is available almost everywhere. I should add that in many case VDSL is more like fiber to the curb. The new DSLAMs are no more than 250 meters from the houses.

I guess the reason DSL is still economically feasable, is the high population density in The Netherlands.

MvdV>> Maybe the situation is different in Sweden, but here the ISPs
MvdV>> have no plans to dig up the copper.

BF>    Here they first spent ten years digging down the copper, and then
BF> they replaced it with fibre -- albeit not yet everywhere... :(

How about coax? Here 90% of all the houses have a green coax cable entering the house. Originally designed for TV broadcast, but from ca 1995 onwards, the cable companies started to retrofit their systems with a return channel and they started offering telephony and internet. Today my cable supplier offers op to 250/25 Mbps. That high speed explains why the demand for FTTH isn't all that high at the moment.

MvdV>> There are several dsl providers here that offer native IPv6.
MvdV>> Ask Wilfred. Ask Kees.

And so do the dsl providers in Germany. Ask Markus.

BF>    Lucky them. I don't know of any such provider here in Sweden.

The problem with IPv6 is that there is no solid bussines case for it. There is no return on investment. The main reason ISPs have been dragging their feet for so long is that they got away with it because they "still had enough IPv4 addresses." Now that they are running out, they finally get moving with IPv6. My cable ISP now offers IPv6 to new customers via DSlite. IOW, they no longer get a public IPv4 address...

Maybe the ISPs in Sweden have not run out of IPv4 adresses yet...

* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)