FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2315 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         02 Apr 16 17:22:52
Кому : Tony Langdon                                        02 Apr 16 17:22:52
Тема : SixXs stops
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+56ffe910
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=764.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1b64fa3a
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=782.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1b657fd9
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+57016614
Hello Tony,

On Saturday April 02 2016 23:42, you wrote to me:

TL> Geeks want everything, and by the looks of it, I could be needing to
TL> have a public IPv4 for at least 10 years more, because one class of
TL> applications, in particular, is very slow to adopt IPv6, namely ham
TL> radio software.

The irony is that an entire /8 has been reserved for Amateur Radio Digital Communications, but AFAIK was never used as such. (044/8)
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtm

TL>   Very little of it knows what IPv6 is.  The only one
TL> that I know of is Asterisk (used in AllStar and VKLink).

TL> IRLP, Echolink, D-STAR, etc all require a public IPv4 address to
TL> function properly (often port forwarding will work).

MvV>> That is why I say the ISPs should have rolled out IPv6 five
MvV>> years ago. Back then there was no shortage of IPv4 yet and they
MvV>> could have given everyone dual stack. Had they started five
MvV>> years ago, the child diseases would have been fixed and the
MvV>> whole world or at least the largest part would have been on
MvV>> IPv6, so that the most of the guys like us would not need a
MvV>> public IPv4 address any more.

TL> Well, my ISP _did_ roll out IPv6 5 years ago. Admitedly, it was on
TL> trial at the time (but went production only months later)

I have never used any of these applications, I played iwth  Packet Radio, but that was AX25, not TCP/IP.

But... should not the same that we are critisizing the ISPs for, also apply to the authors of that software. They too had plenty of time and could have seen it coming. They should be ashamed and be punished by their software being thrown in the bit bucket.

MvV>> We now have 42 IPv6 capable nodes in Fidonet. If the situation
MvV>> were the reverse: i.e. there were only 42 nodes that could not be
MvV>> reached using IPv6, then I could do without a public IPv4 address
MvV>> and happily live with a DS-Lite connection.

TL> At this stage, I can initiate and accept mailer sessions (which is
TL> enough for Fidonet to worry about ;) ) on IPv6.

So Fidonet is saved. ;-)

TL> Waiting for the next software update for the BBS itself (the author
TL> says IPv6 support is due in the next release :) ) to be IPv6 capable.

The introduction of metered local calls around 1990 is what killed the BBS in this part of the world. It was a great incentive for users to become points. The last user spotted in the wild was around 1996. Users are a virtually extinct species here. Most sysops closed their BBS and went mail only. So... BBS's not supporting IPv6 is not an issue of concern here...

TL> My ISP has no plans to phase out public IPv4 addresses.  Even my iPad
TL> on 3G gets a public IPv4 address from them,

Lucky for you.

TL>  mobile public IPv4 is quite rare these days.

Here all the mobile providers have stopped issuing public IPv4 adresses years ago. I have a 3G dongle from KPN for my laptop and i get a RFC1918 or RFC 9598 adress. No IPv6.

MvV>> Ziggo has been telling they will roll out IPv6 "later this
MvV>> year" for the last five years. Itseem that now they are actual;ly
MvV>> doing it and I have a little bit of hope that "this year" will
MvV>> actually be 2016.

TL> Let's hope so. :)

I am not holding my breath...

* Origin: 2001:470:1f15:1117::1 (2:280/5555)