FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2624 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         26 Apr 16 12:35:49
Кому : Andrew Leary                                        26 Apr 16 12:35:49
Тема : IPv6 problems
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+571f5110
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:320/119+571ea335
Hello Andrew,

On Monday April 25 2016 19:04, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> IPv6 capability will be the default and we will have an INO6 flag
MvdV>> to signal the exceptions in the nodelist...

AL> I find it more likely that there will be nodes that cannot accept
AL> incoming IPv4 calls, due to being behind a CGNAT of some type.

Of course we will see those in the coming years. ISPs in Austria, Germany and The Netherlands are already putting new customers on DS-Lite. They may do the same for existing customers when they realise they can ask extra money for a public IPv4 address. Nodes on a DS-Lite connection should fly the INO4 flag.

But I was thinking further ahead.

AL> It will be quite a while before IPv4 support is dropped entirely.

We may not live to see that, but we may live to see it no longer being supported by all. Yes, we will see Fidonet nodes that can not accpet incoming on IPv4, but that can still make outgoing IPv4 call from behind their CGNAT. But.. when everyone one else is in that position, who are they going to call on IPv4?

The added value of supporting outgoing IPv4 rapidly drops when the number of nodes that can accept incoming IPv4 drops. The same happened to POTS. Here in R28 there are just two nodes left that still support POTS. For all the others the added value does not outweigh the cost and effort to maintain POTS connectivity. Even more for ISDN. My host dropped X75 support. His line still supports it, but he is the only one in R28, so there is no added value any more in offfering X75. ISDN was very popular in western Europe, but it is an outgoing technology.

What happens now to POTS and ISDN will happen to IPv4 as well, The Internet backbones may still support it for a very long time, but the added value for the end user will rapidly drop when IPv6 breaks through and so what we will see is that manufacturers of CPE will quitly drop IPv4 support and most customers will never notice. IPv6 only equipment is cheaper to make and to maintain than dual stack equipment and when manufacturers think they can get away with saving a few bucks by dropping IPv4, they will do it.

My guess is that will happen between five and ten years from now.

So then IPv6 will be the default connection method for Fidonet. The majority will no longer support incoming IPv4 calls and so it makes sense to drop the INO4 flag and replace it by an IPv4 flag signallng that this is the exception that still accepts incoming IPv4. When applicable those nodes may also fly an INO6 flag.

Of course nodes that have no IPv6 and do not accept incoming IPv4 have the connectivity of a Private node and should be treated as such.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)