FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2886 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         17 Jun 16 19:28:47
Кому : Ian McLaughlin                                      17 Jun 16 19:28:47
Тема : The well of IPv4 isdry.
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+57643685
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:153/250+48d14cc0
Hello Ian,

On Friday June 17 2016 09:38, you wrote to Allen Prunty:

IM> As someone who works in the industry, I can say that there's no new
IM> IPv4. ARIN (the organization that allocates IP address space to ISPs
IM> in North America) ran out last year.

IANA ran out in Feb 2011. APNIC followed in Apr 2011. RIPE in 2012, LACNIC in 2014 and indeed ARIN in 2015. The only RIR that still has some left is AFRINIC, forecasted to explete in 2018.

http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

IM> There is no more. No organization will *ever* hand back IPv4. It's too
IM> valuable.

At least they won't just give ity away. They may sell some if they need the money, but the amount of IPv4 freed that way will be a drop in the ocean.

IM> There's already a thriving grey market for it, with prices getting
IM> higher and higher.

Yep, present rate about EUR 10 for an address.

IM> IPv4 will never go away, but what you will see is carrier grade NAT
IM> for IPv4 from most ISPs - i.e. you will get a RFC1918 address from
IM> your ISP, unless you pay extra for a 'real' address.

It may never totally go away, but I expect that when IPv6 takes hold, it will fade to the point that for all intents and purposes it will be gone. IPX is still around in some corners, but as far as I a m concerned it is gone.

Maintaining dual stack is an extra effort that I expect manufacturers will try to get rid of when possible. One day a bug will crawl in in the IPv4 part or a router that nobody notices because everything is done via IPv6. And then when the bug is finally noticed, someone might offer the suggestion that instead of fixing the bug, to just drop IPv4 alltogether.

I would not be surprised if this were to happen in the coming decade.

IM> My company will never get another block of IPv4 addresses. What we
IM> have will have to do us.

And that will be the case for most of your competitors as well.

IM> Any company that's not implementing IPv6 *today* is in complete
IM> denial. There's no 'magic bullet' coming that will bail out IPv4.

Indeed. It is now or never. Any one waiting any longer runs the chance of being too late.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)