FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2989 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         20 Jun 16 01:10:25
Кому : Tony Langdon                                        20 Jun 16 01:10:25
Тема : List of IPv6 nodes
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+57672b06
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1442.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1bcc5b28
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/464+5767ad78
Hello Tony,

On Monday June 20 2016 08:17, you wrote to me:

MvV>> My ISP is a big one. Ziggo. They offer IP over cable. In this
MvV>> area they have little competion because DSL can not offer
MvV>> competitive speeds over 50+ years old copper. After five years
MvV>> of promisng "we will roll out

TL> Here, DSL is the dominant means of access.  Cable is only offered in a
TL> few of the major cities and a couple of smaller cities (but not here).

Cable is availably at 95% of all households in The Netherlands. There is a history. In the 60ties we all had our own antennas for TV. Not much was needed for the Dutch TV, but with more effort we could get German TV from about the part east of Utrecht and Belgian TV from south of the River Rhine. But that only worked for thsoe who had enough estate for an antenna tower.

For apartment buidings the idea of CATV was conceived. One Antenna for every apartment in the buildig. Anjd then someone got the idea to just have one antenna on the heighest building in the neighbourhood and feed all the TVs by coax. And then they could feed the individual houses by burying more coax as well. In the end aal houses except the farmers in rural areas had a coax cable coming into their house. And we all had 30 TV channels.

And then the phone system was liberated and the cable guys thought of ways to make the cable go two way and offer telephony over the cable. And then came the internet and they could use the two way cable for IP over cable as well. Over the years the speeds have increased. Cable has the advantage over DSL that disnnace is not a show stopper. Right now I can get 300 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up if I want.

But no IPv6 over the cable. Yet...

If I want native IPv6 I have to go back to DSL. 20 Mbps down at best here...

TL> However, we're in the middle of a major national infrastructure
TL> rollout by the government, which was originally supposed to be FTTH,
TL> but the government changed and gutted it to FTTN.  They also cancelled
TL> the original contracts, when we were next in the queue to be
TL> connected, looking at later this year (hopefully!).

Yeah, I read something about that on Geoff Huston's blog.

TL> We have an election in 2 weeks, and if the government changes, they've
TL> promised to go back to FTTH.  However, when it does arrive, any ISP
TL> will be able to use it for service delivery.  I'll just switch my
TL> service type and stay with the same ISP when it's available.  DSL here
TL> is poor, because it's almost 5km to the exchange (as the cable runs).
TL> :(

Ahh.. :-(

MvV>> Rumour has it that later this year we will get FTTH here. If
MvV>> they offer native IPv6 without strings attached for a fair
MvV>> price, I will tell Ziggo their IPv6 effort is "too little, too
MvV>> late".

TL> Yep, move on if that happens.

I surely will. I am not married for life with my ISP.

TL>> Vote with your feet (and wallet). :)

MvV>> Yep. ;-)

TL> They will have to take notice.  Yes, I pay a bit more than others with
TL> a similar service, but it is a case of you get what you pay for - a
TL> good ISP which keeps abreast of technology and has excellent support.
TL> :)

I take the same approach. I don't want to pay too much, but the lowest price is not my favourite per sé. I am willing to pay a bit more for good stable service and.. IPv6.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)