FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3334 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         07 Aug 16 23:49:11
Кому : Mattias Larsson                                     07 Aug 16 23:49:11
Тема : IPV6 and Netgear
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+57a7b411
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:203/210+012c3d3a
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=1795.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1c0d4c97
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:203/210+00a3bacf
Hello Mattias,

On Sunday August 07 2016 19:46, you wrote to me:

ML> It's configured to allow it but doesn't, either something wrong with
ML> the config-file or mis2 doesn't use that setting. I don't know. Bottom
ML> line is that it isnt working though so... :)

Indeed, bottom line is it is not working. well, that is not IPv6 related...

Mv>> Have you configured the windows firewall to pass those ports?
Mv>> If the router is a any good, it would block all unsollicited
Mv>> incoming IPv6 packets. You have to tell the router to let them
Mv>> pass.

ML> There lies the problem, I have no control over IPv6 firewall settings
ML> in the router directly and from what I understand from reading up on
ML> it Netgear doesn't seem to care much to implement it. My guess is that
ML> they just block anything IPv6.

Maybe you haven't looked in the right place. Things are different for P4 and IPv6. In IPv4 there is only one WAN IP address for your entire LAN. To make servers on the LAN accessable to the world, one uses NAPT. Metwork Address and Port Translation. depending on port number an address in an incoming packet is translated into a private address on the LAN. Without an entry in the NAPT table an incoming packet is always rejected simply because the router does not know where to send it to.

In IPv6 there is no NAT. Every device on the LAN has its own global IPv6 address. No need for translation, just pass it on. This was actually how the IPv4 internet was originally designed.

The first generation IPv6 capable routers had no firewall at all. They just passed all incoming IPv6 traffic. This was a security risk. The alternative was to block all unsollicited incoming IPv6 traffic. Safe, but no way to run servers on IPv6.

Any decent IPv6 capable router should have a firewall that blocks all unsollicited incoming IPv6 packets by default, but allows to "punch holes" depending on port numbers and destination on the LAN.

If your Netgear is less than five years old, I would be surprised if it does not have this functionality.

ML> Funny since they claim the router supports IPv6... Well, it's
ML> technically true I guess but not very usefull for my case.

Yeah well an aircraft without landing gear can technically fly. But I wouldn't want to fly it.

A router claiming to support IPv6 but not having a means to selectively pass incoming IPv6 packets is not up to the "state of the art". I would take it back to the vendor and demand my money back.

ML> I'll open a support-ticket with them to get it confirmed.

Hopefully they will tell you where to look to solve the problem.

ML> I was almost considering setting up my FreeNAS-machine as a fw/router
ML> and see if that works against all recommendations.

That may be a last resort, but I would not give up on the Netgear yet...

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)