FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3793 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         30 Nov 16 21:40:09
Кому : Markus Reschke                                      30 Nov 16 21:40:09
Тема : Cable modem change
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+583f3b63
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+58334472
Hello Markus,

On Wednesday November 30 2016 16:06, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> The second gamble was if I could get it registered with- and
MvdV>> accepted by the cable company. I didn't get it through their
MvdV>> official channels. From their POV it is a renegade. Much to my
MvdV>> surprise however I managed to register it with the activation
MvdV>> codes supplied to me for my previous modem.

MR> Basically the cable modem just needs to support the right DOCSIS
MR> version and its MAC has to be activated, i.e. the cable provider puts
MR> the MAC into the database and links it to your customer ID. There's no
MR> authentication like it's done for DSL (PPP).

There is a procedure in case the customer lost the activation codes or if the on-line activation procedure fails. Call the helpdesk, give them the MAC and they can manually activate the modem. That is how I figured the MAC is the link between the modem and the customer data base.

But, as I mentioned these modems have customised firmware. For starters there is the so called Ziggo Hotspot. It allows Ziggo customers to make use of each others WiFi. It is firewalled off from the  LAN and the only thing visible is a counter with the number of connected user. The customer can disable it. If you do, you can not use the hostspot of other customers. The other changes may be merely cosmetic, such as displying "Ziggo" on the screens of the weg interface, or they may be morefundamental. Hard to tell. Anyway, I would expect some extra tests to see if it is a modem with the customised firmware or something else.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)