FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3797 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         01 Dec 16 01:33:30
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       01 Dec 16 01:33:30
Тема : Cable modem change
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+583f7506
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+583f69bc
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+583f84ed
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:240/1661+58334474
Hello Nicholas,

On Wednesday November 30 2016 17:57, you wrote to me:

MV>> Coming to think of it, they never asked me to return my 10+ year
MV>> old Motorola modem either...

NB> As long as they're not charging you for it. Enjoy your new 10+ year
NB> old modem! :)

You have to send stuff back if theu ask, but it is on their dime. So what they do is, they send you a return box for which the cast of shipping has been paid. All you have to do put the old stuff in the box and hand it in at a "collection point". They only start if you fail to do that.

But... they only ask to return stuff that they can re-use.  That old Motorola is DOCSIS 2.0. The reason that they offered to replace it in the first place it that they want to get rid of the old DOCSIS 2.0 gear. They don;t want it back. If I send it back, not only will they have to pay for the cost of transport, they will also pay for the cost of disposing it in a resposible manner. Here citizens are encouraged to hand in used electric and electronic equipment at a station where it can be recycled/disposed of in a way that does not harm the environment and that allows valuable raw material to be re-used. I can do that for free. Or more precise the removal fee has was already includen in the original purchase. ,But there is no legal oubligation for me to do so. I cab just throw it in the dust bin. But for companies the rules are stricter. The can;t just thow it outm they have to do it by the rules NAD pay for it. So they are never going to as ke me to return my old DOCSIS 2.0 Motorola.

OK, enough off-topic drift...

MV>> Like you, I would very much prefer the German model. Not just
MV>> because owning your own stuff usually is cheaper in the long run
MV>> but also because the stuff from the providers is not all that
MV>> good. There is much better equipment to be had on the open
MV>> market. I'd go for a Fritzbox cable modem if I has the choice.

NB> I haven't done enough studying on modems to have an opinion on what's
NB> good or not. I currently have a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 which seems
NB> to have all the bells and whistles I currently need and/or want.

The following comes to mind. I have been assigned a /56. So I can have 256 Iv6 subnets. But... I have not as yet discovered a way to use anything but the first /64 of that assigment with my modem/router. How about you?

NB> I would probably have bought a new modem on my own if it were to give
NB> considerably better speeds, but I'm currently paying for 50mb/5mb, and
NB> speedtest.net reports 60/6.. so I can't really complain. :)

You get that speed on both IPv4 and IPv6?

MV>> Like that the web interface of the modem is not reaceable via
MV>> IPv6. So this box is not usable in an IPv6 only environment...

NB> Are you trying to connect to your fe80:* address? Or the actual
NB> address given by your provider?

I have tried them all. The web interface only responds at IPv4. No big deal. Yet... But of course in future equipment should be manageable via IPv6.

MV>> So.. in your case it is not "official" either. It can go away
MV>> tomorrow...

NB> Exactly. And like you, I have just disabled my he.net tunnel in case
NB> anything were to go wrong I won't be without IPv6 for long.

Good stategy.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)