FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3830 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         02 Dec 16 16:05:33
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       02 Dec 16 16:05:33
Тема : Cable modem change
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+58419079
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+58417f91
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+58419bb2
Hello Nicholas,

On Friday December 02 2016 07:57, you wrote to me:

MV>> There is that, but I was thinking a bit further ahead. Dual stack
MV>> is not the end goal, it is also a transition mechanism. A
MV>> sensible engineer does not want to maintain duality forever. On
MV>> the contrary, once you got the new syetem in place, you want to
MV>> get rid of the old system ASAP. Keeping two systems in the air
[..]

NB> You may be thinking much to far ahead (which is not a bad thing). It
NB> has taken this long to get IPv6 deployed. I can only imagine how long
NB> it's going to take to get rid of IPv4 completely.

Maybe not as long as you think. Some apparently are already seeing the light when it comes to the advantages of IPv6 only internal networks:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/hrez4e9

The IPv6 train is slow in coming on steam. But when it starts gaining momentum, and when we see IPv6 only internal networks, it may accelerate expom\nentially.

MV>> IPv4 only stuff is an obstacle on the road to IPv6 only.

NB> True. But their thought process probably had something to do with the
NB> life expectancy of said router(s) would probably not outlast the
NB> transition to full IPv6, and while it's in transition and even
NB> completes, the router would still work fine, without extra work put
NB> into it.

And missing the opportunity to gain experience when it is not critical yet. Fixing the roof when the sun shines...

NB> You know the routine.. "sell for the highest price possible, but put
NB> the least amount of effort into the product" kind of deal.

Good short term strategy, but a company that does not invest in the future is heading for a dead end.

MV>> That was than, but just like the first cars were designed to
MV>> function is a horseless society, IPv6 was designed to operate in
MV>> an environment without IPv4.

NB> True. Albeit I'm sure they've all been brainwashed into the "we've got
NB> plenty of time" mindset already.

I think at least some are coming to see the light. It may be different in your part of the world, but here it is very difficult for small companies to get IPv4 address space. The industry is reaaly starting to feek the pain of IPv4 exhaustion.

NB>>> Agreed. My router would never be open to the public.

MV>> "Open to the public" and accesible from outside is not the same
MV>> thing. YOU may want to access it from outside, but not giving
MV>> that access to anyone else.

NB> I wouldn't want my router accessible from outside whatsoever. Anything
NB> I need to do I can do from within my LAN.

Same for me, but not everyone is in that position. We have sysops here who only have physical access to their systems in the weekend. OTOH, there are pensionados who are gone for a couple of month in the summer. Roaming the world in a camper, or playing with boats..

NB> If my router were to go down  while I wasn't home, there's most
NB> likely no way of fixing it from there anyways.

You do not have a neighbour or friend who can push the reset button?

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)