FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 3970 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         14 Dec 16 17:46:13
Кому : Nicholas Boel                                       14 Dec 16 17:46:13
Тема : New one
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+58517c28
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=1:154/10+58516400
Hello Nicholas,

On Wednesday December 14 2016 09:17, you wrote to me:

MV>> We have a new one. Mihail Kapitanov of 2:467/239.

MV>> Mihail, welcome to the Fidonet IPv6 club.

NB> Are these people contacting you personally? Or are you going out on
NB> your own and finding them?

With the help of Kees van Eeten, I actively hunt themdown. Kees has a script that scans the nodelist for hostnames that present an AAAA record. When he finds a new one, he reports it to me. I try to make an IPv6 binkp connect. If successful, I add them to the list. If not, I try to contact the sysops and help him to est his system to support IPv6. Sometimes theis works, sometimes it does not.

MV>> Win some, lose some. I have removed RJ Clay of 1:120/544.  His
MV>> IPv6 has been down for over a month now and he does not respond.

NB> Last I heard he's still having hardware issues, but who knows. After
NB> that amount of time one could setup a VPS somewhere until they got
NB> their own hardware straightened out. I think Allen is still awaiting a
NB> nodelist segment to be processed even. :(

He did have IPv6 in the past, so I do not know why he can not do it again. I have given up on him for now.

MV>> So we keep hovering at 50 members.

NB> Still a good number, in my opinion. Taking into account the limited
NB> availability of IPv6 connectable FTN mailers out there (as far as I
NB> know, there's only three or less, and only one that is probably
NB> considered "stable").

I don't think it is all that good. Until last year, we saw something aproximating exponential growth. At the end of 2015 we were at 39 members. See my end of year article in Fidonews.

But now it is leveling off. Against expectations. Native IPv6 is coming off the ground, so we would expect more growth. That fact that until now only two FTN mailers have stable support for IPv6 (binkd and MBSE) should not be a limiting factor. Binkp is the leader in Fidonet over IP by far. There are many more node using binkd and only answereing on IPv4 than the 50 that do IPv6.

For more IPv6 capable nodes we do not need more software, we need more binkd sysops to have a look at IPv6.

Plus that we need more sysops to switch to binkd. IMNHSO. The emergence of tape and paperclip add-ons for older software like BBBS and Mystic is slowing things down. Both Mystic and BBBS have broken IPv6. If only because it is one way only. Broken implementations give IPv6 a bad name. :(

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)