FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4006 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         08 Jan 17 23:21:46
Кому : Richard Menedetter                                  08 Jan 17 23:21:46
Тема : What happens if a power supply lowers the voltage by 90%
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5872bfa7
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+587259ec
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+5873543b
Hello Richard,

On Sunday January 08 2017 16:15, you wrote to me:

RM> It is the same here.
RM> You can call them, and if you are lucky, they will reconfigure your
RM> CPE to v4 only.

But then you have no native IPv6...

MV>> OTOH, when having the choice, I might try DS-Lite and see how it
MV>> works for me...

RM> I would not want to burden me with that now.
RM> You can get away without IPv6 currently very well.

Most people can get away with DS-lite just as well or maybe even better. Most of my internet access is as a client. For surfing the web or reading e-mail I do not need a public IPv4 address. I run a web server, but it isn't used very much and if it would only be accessible to those with am IPv6 connection, it would be no great loss.

Fidonet... well.. it would be an interesting experiment...

RM> Most people have v4 only currently around here.
RM> So going DS-Lite is asking for additional trouble ...
RM> I do not want to burden me with that now.

There was a time when I thought I could not do without a POTS connection. In my perception that was not all that long ago. But now I have no POTS connection any more. I am doing fine with IP only. I was not forced to give it up, I just looked at the logs and saw there had been no connects in a year. I decided I was just wasting electricity keeping the modem conection alive.

IPv4 will be different. Some day we will have to make the choice between giving it up or pay extra for it. Or maybe just give it up, preiod.

RM>>>  At the moment they do not have either of those options.

MV>> I wonder if PCP is really a viable solution.
MV>> Only one client sharing the same IPv4 address can have port 24554
MV>> forwarded. Which may not be a problem in case of port 24554, but
MV>> wat about the more popular ports? 80 or 25?

RM> That was exactly my reasoning.
RM> Port 24554 should be no issue ;)
RM> But port 80 will be.
RM> So they again need one public IP per PCP customer.

If these customers need it permanently, yes indeed.

RM> AND they have huge support issues.
RM> Why not hand out public IPv4 instead?

Because they want us to ween off from IPv4?

MV>> So if you had the choice of accepting DS-Lite and paying an extra
MV>> EUR 2 a month, you'd accept DS-Lite?

RM> ??? Why would I pay more for a weaker service??
RM> I would be willing to pay to EVADE DS-Lite ;)

RM> Or do you mean pay 1 EUR to get a /56 IPv6 address?
RM> Propbably yes, but only because I am a geek.

What I meant was pay EUR 2 a month to get dual stack instead od DS-Lite.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)