FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4010 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         09 Jan 17 12:40:16
Кому : Richard Menedetter                                  09 Jan 17 12:40:16
Тема : What happens if a power supply lowers the voltage by 90%
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+58737bf2
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+5873543b
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+5873da89
Hello Richard,

On Monday January 09 2017 10:06, you wrote to me:

MV>> But then you have no native IPv6...

RM> Yes ... that is the choice.
RM> DS-Lite or public IPv4 only.

But I am the IPv6 evngelist, I want IPv6. Preferably native IPv6. :)

RM>>> I would not want to burden me with that now.
RM>>> You can get away without IPv6 currently very well.
MV>> Most people can get away with DS-lite just as well or maybe even
MV>> better.

RM> I, personally, am not willing to get rid of my public IPv4 address.

If I had stable and reliable native IPv6 (which I do not have yet), and the price was right, I do not rule out that I could be persuaded to do without a public IPv4 address.

Considering that in the long run it may be inevitable anyway.

MV>> IPv4 will be different. Some day we will have to make the choice
MV>> between giving it up or pay extra for it. Or maybe just give it
MV>> up, preiod.

RM> Probably yes.

In the very long run IPv4 will disappear. Some day the burden of maintaining two protocols will not justify the benefits and IPv6 only equipment will be dominant. I may not live to see that. Fidonet may not live to see that...

RM> Currently the situation here in Austria looks different.
RM> It seems the way they will choose here is shuffle over people to
RM> DS-Lite (or even CGNv4) and if somebody complains reconfigure him back
RM> to public IPv4.

Here in The Netherlands, there is a division. De dsl and fibre providers that offer IPv6 offer full dual stack. For the cable providers the situation is different. After the fusion of Ziggo and UPC, there is just one big cable provider. There are two or three very small ones that probably will soon be eaten by the remaining big one and so they play no significant part in the game.

As I said, Ziggo and UPC merged, but it would seem they only merged administratively. The technical networks are still separated. In the area covered by what used to be UPC, they offer DS-Lite to new customers. In the area covered by what used to be Ziggo, they go dual stack.

RM>>> AND they have huge support issues.
RM>>> Why not hand out public IPv4 instead?

MV>> Because they want us to ween off from IPv4?

RM> But how does it help them to have one public IPv4/customer for PCP to
RM> ween off from IPv4?

Maybe they hope that most customers only need IPv4/port for a short time and not permanently so that they can rotate the adresses/ports among customers. A bit like in the dial up age when customers got a dynamic IP address that was reassigned to another customer after they broke the connection.

MV>> What I meant was pay EUR 2 a month to get dual stack instead od
MV>> DS-Lite.

RM> Probably yes ... but only because I am a geek.

Aren't we all? Most of the non geeks don't even know about IPv6. :)

RM> (But 2 EUR would be the upper limit ... see my 7 EUR/month root
RM> server)

What if they gave you a 5 EUR/Month discount on DS-Lite? <BEG>

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)