FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 7402
= Сообщение: 5266 из 7402 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         18 Mar 18 16:10:44
Кому : Tony Langdon                                        18 Mar 18 16:10:44
Тема : finaly for me
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5aae869d
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=406.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1f12c83f
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=414.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1f14377e
Hello Tony,

On Sunday March 18 2018 08:46, you wrote to me:

MvV>> I prefer a path that avoids nodes that do not support IPv6. In
MvV>> the above example only two nodes do not support IPv6, so while
MvV>> it is not optimal, it is not all that bad either...

TL> From a message transfer point of view, IP protocol doesn't matter.

Some claim that IPv6 is slightly faster than IPv4. http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2016-08/v6perf.html
But even if that claim can be substantiated, it is irrelevant for Fidonet.

TL> Most people would regard timely delivery as the measure of
TL> "efficiency".

Reliability and stability of the connection is also a factor I'd say.

TL> If the fastest path goes via IPv4 or even dialup, who cares?

In the case of dialup: those who's dial up line involves cost, as often was the case in the POTS only days...

TL> (other than people in this echo ;) ).

Well, /here/ is where the people in this echo can be found. So most of the people that read this probably do care. Call me en elitist, but supporting IPv6 still isn't an automatism. It requires some extra effort. My guess is that those willing and able to make that extra effort have a tighter bond to their system than those who do not bother. On average of course, but my impressiosn is that there are a lot of nodes that just run on inertia rather than active sysop involvement. You will find less of those among the members of the IPv6 club.

TL> That said, I will encourage IPv6 support where possible, and run IPv6
TL> on all of my systems that support it (which is almost everything).

Same here. Plus that when adding new links and having to make a choice, I prefer to link to the IPv6 capable node over linking to the IPv4 only node.

* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)