FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4510 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555.1       20 May 17 15:24:20
Кому : Tony Langdon                                        20 May 17 15:24:20
Тема : ArcaOS
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555.1+59204c7a
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2966.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1d855415
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:221/6.0+592057b6
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2971.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1d8684b0
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:5053/58.1+5922b644
Hello Tony,

On Saturday May 20 2017 19:34, you wrote to me:

MvV>> In 2009, so eight years ago actually.

TL> My total IPv6 convesion was 2 years later.  However, I have to be
TL> pragmatic, there are some systems (ham radio is notorious) that don't
TL> support IPv6, so each case is judged on its merits.

The date that I dedided to no longer buy new network stuff that does not do IPv6 does not coïncide with totally converting my LAN to IPv6. The conversion of my network to IPv6 was a gradual process that took many years. It is not entirely complete yet. There is my FON spot that is still IPv4 only. I have been pestering FON about IPv6 for years, but to no avail. The loophole is that I did not pay for the Fonera Simple. http://www.vlist.eu/fon/simpl.htm

The other IPv4 only gadget is the "SanKnows WhiteBox" Also not something I bought. I just host it. I should write them again. Maybe this time with a veiled threat of disconnecting it if they continue to ignore IPv6...

TL> Luckily the vast majority of my decisions involve no expenditure
TL> (either open source or freeware).

Same here.

MvV>> Networking was not one of the strong points of OS/2 and ArcaOS
MvV>> seems to have inherited that weekness from IBM. The fact that
MvV>> they label IPv6 as mere "nice to have" says volumes.

TL> That is disappointing, though there is scope for a totally new network
TL> stack, which better include IPv6! :)

I call it more than just disappointing Their slogan is: "bringing OS/2 to the 21st century". Sorry, an OS not supporting IPv6 is NOT 21th century. And certainly not the second decennium of the 21th century. Today in 2017 for an OS, IPv6 is not "nice to have", it is essential. For me it is an absolute show stopper. It is like a car without side mirrors. 50+ years ago when I got my driver's license, cars did not normally have side mirrors. They just had the mirror on the inside of the front window. So I have driven cars without side mirrors. In the past. But now I would not buy a new car that had no side mirrors. I consider them essential for the combination of modern traffic and my 70 year old neck...

Yes, I suppose the lack of IPv6 in ArcaOS can be fixed. Maybe they will fix it some day. Just like that new car in the show room that has no side mirrors. It can be fixed. The vendor can mount side mirrors. But sorry, no deal. If the manufacturer did not consider side mirrors essential these days, I have no faith in them. It makes you wonder what else that I consider essential in the 21th century, they left out because it is merely "nice to have"?

A 21th century OS without IPv6? Sorry, no deal!

* Origin: Michiel's laptop (2:280/5555.1)