FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4032 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Richard Menedetter               2:310/31           12 Jan 17 14:16:50
Кому : Michiel Van Der Vlist                               12 Jan 17 14:16:50
Тема : What happens if a power supply lowers the voltage by 90%
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+587786a1
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+587694c1
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:221/6.0+5877aa4e
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5877b440
Hi Michiel!

11 Jan 2017 21:08, from Michiel van der Vlist -> Richard Menedetter:

RM>> Currently i do not see any big advantage of IPv6.
MV> I can see your point as a consumer. But ... you are not just a
MV> consumer of internet services. You are a Fidonet sysop. What happened
MV> to that pioneer spirit that created Fidonet 30 years ago?

The statement above was a general statement ;)

I personal view is different.
I have written my thesis about Mobile IPv6, and have IPv6 vie tunnek (6bone, Sixxs and now HE) since 2004.

But a "normal" user does not have a real tangible advantage from IPv6 today.
That is why "normal" people do not demand IPv6, because it does not make a difference for many users.

MV> Also... That attidute is one of the reasons IPv6 takes so long to get
MV> off the ground. Everyone just looks at the short term benefits.
MV> Consumers, ISPs and manufacturers, they are all guilty. We all know
MV> that that the IPv4 number pool has been exhausted and something needs
MV> to be done to ensure the continued operation of the Internet.
MV> But everyone is waiting for others to take the first steps. :(

I have done an analysis of IPv6 usage and issues for a big indusrty partner when I worked for the Technical University of Vienna.
They took it, and put it into a drawer (gladly they paid for it first)

To be honest ... there still are not enough pain points.
Most people do not care even when they have CGNATv4.
And the big ISPs have large enough pools to cover people who care with "real v4" addresses.

If many people would terminate their ISP contract because of that, it would change.
As long as the average end customer sees no benefit for himself, he will not care.
And when 95% of the customers do not care, the ISPs do not care.

RM>> The long run is veeeeeeery long.
MV> Making predictions is easy. Making predictions thay come true is not
MV> so easy. When the predictions concern the future, itis very hard.

true ;)

MV> They may still be in use in some remote corners of the cyberworld, but
MV> they play no role of significance any more. My educated guess is that
MV> the same will happen to IPv4 in the not too distant future.
MV> Better be prepaired..

My current point of view is that the relevant servers for most people (google, akamai, Facebook, etc.) will have dual stack.

And that 75% of the people will not care if they have DS, DS-Lite or CGNATv4.
It simply makes no difference to them.

They can watch Youtube and go to Facebook, and they see no difference.

RM>> Until then I want my public IPv4 ;)
MV> You may or you may not get what you want...

I am quit sure that I will get this particular wish for a reasonable amount of time in the future ;)

RM>> I do have a public v4 even on my phone ;)
MV> I don't. My phone is just a phone. It does not have an IP number.
MV> I do have a G2/G3 dongle for my laptop. I get a CGNAT address on that.
MV> No IPv6 :(

I do not really use it for anything on the phone, but it is there.
But my previous operator (Hutchison 3g) and my current one UPC both give public dynamic IPs.
(Yes even UPC who reconfigured their cable network to DS-Lite)

CU, Ricsi

--- GoldED+/LNX
* Origin: All computers wait at the same speed (2:310/31)