FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4041 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Richard Menedetter               2:310/31           12 Jan 17 20:47:02
Кому : Janne Johansson                                     12 Jan 17 20:47:02
Тема : What happens if a power supply lowers the voltage by 90%
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=2:310/31+5877e5e2
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:221/6.0+5877aa4e
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+5877fd7d
Hi Janne!

12 Jan 2017 18:09, from Janne Johansson -> Richard Menedetter:

>> But a "normal" user does not have a real tangible advantage from
>> IPv6 today. That is why "normal" people do not demand IPv6, because
>> it does not make a difference for many users.
>> And that 75% of the people will not care if they have DS, DS-Lite or
>> CGNATv4. It simply makes no difference to them.
JJ> Well, the point is somewhat that the situation which you quoted as
JJ> "normal" actually wasn't normal, but we got people accustomed to it,

I was actually not writing about situations, just what the average user perceives as "normal".

JJ> so it ended up as your second half, "as long as FB/YT have ips I can
JJ> reach then internet is up", but when v4 really starts running out so
JJ> that even us "white male computer nerds" can get an address of their
JJ> own,

I disagree with this.
This will not happen.
What will happen (and is already happening) is that big ISPs take away IPv4 addresses from "normal" users, and give them either DS-Lite or CGNATv4 and reuse or sell their recovered stock.

The hosting company that I use gives you 1 IPv4 and a /64 v6 for all their products.
(including their 1.99 EUR vserver)
You can get additional v4 addresses for 1 EUR/month
(or additional /64 IPv6 subnets also for 1 EUR/month)

These prices are faaaar away from "cannot get" IPv4 addresses.

So for me the conclusio is, that people who do not care will loose their public v4 address.
But anybody can get single v4 addresses for relatively cheap.
I predict that v4 addresses will stay cheap for "white male computer nerds" (as you put it)

JJ> and you can't set up a server _at all_ anymore without renting
JJ> one IP from FB/Google/AWS,

I do not see that happening.
See my comment for a 1.99 EUR vserver with v4 and v6.

The price for the IPv4 address is minuscule and will stay so when compared with the price of the server hardware!

JJ> then perhaps someone would listen to reason
JJ> from the stiff old people who can say that "when I grew up, anyone had
JJ> a real ip of their own, we still firewalled, but you could allow
JJ> access to your server if you wanted". And you can get back to that
JJ> situation, with v6 which is getting more and more available.

Here we agree again.
Users in certain countries need to use IPv6 to easily make their computers available on the internet.

And I believe this can be the "killer app".
As those people are only reachable via IPv6.

JJ> I think Asia and Africa are seeing lots more of using v6, since they
JJ> got so puny allocations compared to US/EU so the revolution may come
JJ> from that end.

Actually I would not put US and EU in the same league.
US had much more IPs, because it started ARPAnet.
Stanford and many US companies have /8s!

EU never had that.

But I agree that Asia and Africa have tiny IP pools compared to the US and EU.

JJ> Some weird service which runs only on v6 which pushes
JJ> people to beg their ISPs. (pokemon related? ;)

Pokemon works nicely on CGNATv4.
IF it happens it will be some kind of new peer2peer service.

CU, Ricsi

--- GoldED+/LNX
* Origin: I would say more, but I'm limited to 45 chara (2:310/31)