FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 4690 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Tony Langdon                     3:633/410          27 Jul 17 07:51:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               27 Jul 17 07:51:00
Тема : Re: The future of IPv4 (was: vanity mode engaged)
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=3147.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1dde75e4
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+59786144
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+597c9f4f
-=> Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

MvV> My ISP does not offer that on consumer accounts. Static addresses are
MvV> only offered om bussines accounts.

Most ISPs here don't offer static addresses for consumers either, but mine
oes.

MvV>> I am old fashioned. I still use the aether when making HAM
MvV>> contacts... :-)

MvV> For me the fun is running my own stuff at home. Noise pollution is stil
MvV> bearable here. If I can no longer do HF from home, I will just stop
MvV> doing HF. I don't use echolink or similar stuff either.

It was OK here, at least before I went VDSL.  I haven't tried since.  I don't
get a lot of chance to play HF.

TL>   Almost all of this is IPv4 only.  My own remote base
TL> actually has the potential to become IPv6 capable - I would need to
TL> work on a suitable audio transport medium, probably web based. Control
TL> wise, it's already IPv6 capable - I can simply SSH in to control it.
TL> ;)

MvV> Good for you! ;-)

Yes, I wanted it to be easily extended.

MvV> Twenty five years ago I was the caretaker of the local 2 m repeater.
MvV> PI3PYR. No internet connection. Everything over the air. ;-)

MvV> That was a long time ago. I have lost intetest in repereaters.

Repeaters in many cases have become access portals for the various networked
modes.  They've certainly changed, that's for sure.

MvV>> But of course there is my other hobby: Fidonet. Still plenty of
MvV>> IPv4 only legacy software around.

TL> And legacy nodes - networked systes can be difficult to migrate.
TL> Maybe the solution is to go IPv6 at the application level and have a
TL> series of 6in4 tunnels along each route where there's an IPv4 only
TL> endpoint.

MvV> Hmmm...

Just throwing ideas out there. :)

MvV> Indeed, there could be a lot more. Unfortunately many sysops do not
MvV> seem to be interested at all. Many are still in denial. We don't need
MvV> IPv6, evrything works without it...

Well, it's here, might as well make the most of it.  I started playing with
IPv6 back around 2000, compiling it into 2.2.x series Linux kernels by hand,
then working around known bugs.  And trying to find applications that supported
IPv6 was an even bigger challenge back then.

MvV> Belgium is world leader in IPv6 adoption with 51%. It does not show in
MvV> Fidonet. :-(

Yeah you guys should be leading the world.

TL> Can also simply restructure FTN networks so that there's good routing
TL> available on dual stack nodes, so IPv6 only nodes can get a good feed
TL> more easily.

MvV> There are no true IPv6 only nodes yet and there probably won't be any
MvV> for a long time to come. All present IPv6 capable nodes can still make
MvV> outgoing connects over IPv4. I think we already are past the tipping
MvV> point. There are enough IPv6 capable nodes that can act as echomail
MvV> hubs. Running an IPv6 node should be doable.

There's certainly a selection.  We have coverage here, both myself and my NC
have IPv6. :)

MvV> Frustrating indeed. :-(

Yep, this is not new stuff now, it should be pedestrian.

... When it come to giving, some people stop at nothing.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
* Origin: Freeway BBS - freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)