FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2307 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Tony Langdon                     3:633/410          02 Apr 16 23:42:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               02 Apr 16 23:42:00
Тема : Re: SixXs stops
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=764.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1b64fa3a
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+56ff9d71
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Ответ: area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+56ffe910
-=> Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Richard Menedetter <=-

MvV> I fully understand. Th irony is that those who are aware of IPv6, the
MvV> geeks, are also the ones who are very reluctant to let go of their
MvV> public IP4 address yet. Auntie Mildred and uncle Harry may be quit
MvV> satisfied with Ds-lite and they may never notice that their IPv4
MvV> connection is not an end to end connection. But we want full dual
MvV> stack. For now at least.

Geeks want everything, and by the looks of it, I could be needing to have a
public IPv4 for at least 10 years more, because one class of applications, in
particular, is very slow to adopt IPv6, namely ham radio software.  Very little
of it knows what IPv6 is.  The only one that I know of is Asterisk (used in
AllStar and VKLink).

IRLP, Echolink, D-STAR, etc all require a public IPv4 address to function
properly (often port forwarding will work).

MvV> That is why I say the ISPs should have rolled out IPv6 five years ago.
MvV> Back then there was no shortage of IPv4 yet and they could have given
MvV> everyone dual stack. Had they started five years ago, the child
MvV> diseases would have been fixed and the whole world or at least the
MvV> largest part would have been on IPv6, so that the most of the guys like
MvV> us would not need a public IPv4 address any more.

Well, my ISP _did_ roll out IPv6 5 years ago. Admitedly, it was on trial at the
time (but went production only months later)

MvV> We now have 42 IPv6 capable nodes in Fidonet. If the situation were the
MvV> reverse: i.e. there were only 42 nodes that could not be reached using
MvV> IPv6, then I could do without a public IPv4 address and happily live
MvV> with a DS-Lite connection.

At this stage, I can initiate and accept mailer sessions (which is enough for
Fidonet to worry about ;) ) on IPv6.  Waiting for the next software update for
the BBS itself (the author says IPv6 support is due in the next release :) ) to
be IPv6 capable.  I had to change my nodelist entry to ensure Fidonet mailers
can initiate IPv6 sessions to me, without changing the user access hostname.
I'll be able to drop that distinction after the BBS upgrade.

MvV> As it is, it seems I am one of the few lucky ones that will still get a
MvV> dual stack connection. Here two major cable companies UPC and Ziggo
MvV> have done a merger. The continue undert the name of Ziggo. Ipv6 is
MvV> being rolled out. But here is difference between the region formerly
MvV> covered by UPC and the region covered by the old Ziggo. Former UPC gets
MvV> DS-lite, former Ziggo gets dual stack. I am in the old Ziggo region.

My ISP has no plans to phase out public IPv4 addresses.  Even my iPad on 3G
gets a public IPv4 address from them, mobile public IPv4 is quite rare these
days.

MvV> Ziggo has been telling they will roll out IPv6 "later this year"for the
MvV> last five years. Itseem that now they are actual;ly doing it and I have
MvV> a little bit of hope that "this year" will actually be 2016.

Let's hope so. :)

... Growing older is typical. Growing up is the option.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
* Origin: Freeway BBS - freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)