FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции IPV6
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции IPV6 с датами от 31 Jul 11 14:37:00 до 03 Oct 24 21:46:09, всего сообщений: 7440
= Сообщение: 2326 из 7440 ============================================= IPV6 =
От   : Tony Langdon                     3:633/410          03 Apr 16 07:57:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               03 Apr 16 07:57:00
Тема : Re: SixXs stops
FGHI : area://IPV6?msgid=782.fido-ipv6@3:633/410+1b657fd9
На   : area://IPV6?msgid=2:280/5555+56ffe910
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
-=> Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Tony Langdon <=-

MvV> Hello Tony,

MvV> On Saturday April 02 2016 23:42, you wrote to me:

TL> Geeks want everything, and by the looks of it, I could be needing to
TL> have a public IPv4 for at least 10 years more, because one class of
TL> applications, in particular, is very slow to adopt IPv6, namely ham
TL> radio software.

MvV> The irony is that an entire /8 has been reserved for Amateur Radio
MvV> Digital Communications, but AFAIK was never used as such. (044/8)
MvV> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xh
MvV> tm

Yes, but the developers, both hobbyist and commercial, have been _very_ slow to
adopt IPv6 in their software. I don't know if that's an issue with knowledge
and experience, or compatibility fears, given some of the systems are global in
nature (and a lot of developers are in the US).

MvV> I have never used any of these applications, I played iwth  Packet
MvV> Radio, but that was AX25, not TCP/IP.

I was running IP over AX.25 in 1991. :)

MvV> But... should not the same that we are critisizing the ISPs for, also
MvV> apply to the authors of that software. They too had plenty of time and
MvV> could have seen it coming. They should be ashamed and be punished by
MvV> their software being thrown in the bit bucket.

I agree, but it's hard to get much response on the subject of IPv6 (I have
tried!).  There are one or two who are keen on adopting IPv6.  AAnother issue
now is the legacy systems, which are not going to be easily upgraded, with the
protocols dating back to the mid 1990s and now supporting large scale networks,
a migration strategy would need to be developed (and even then it's imperfect,
because of basic issues like an IPv4 peer not being able to contact an IPv6
only peer).  But in a single hit, one would solve the most common support
bugbear - port forwarding/router configuration issues! :)

TL> At this stage, I can initiate and accept mailer sessions (which is
TL> enough for Fidonet to worry about ;) ) on IPv6.

MvV> So Fidonet is saved. ;-)

Well, at 42, we have the answer to life, the Universe and everything. ;)

TL> Waiting for the next software update for the BBS itself (the author
TL> says IPv6 support is due in the next release :) ) to be IPv6 capable.

MvV> The introduction of metered local calls around 1990 is what killed the
MvV> BBS in this part of the world. It was a great incentive for users to
MvV> become points. The last user spotted in the wild was around 1996. Users
MvV> are a virtually extinct species here. Most sysops closed their BBS and
MvV> went mail only. So... BBS's not supporting IPv6 is not an issue of
MvV> concern here...

Big difference here, if anything, there is now _more_ scope for dialup, at
least from a cost perspective.  In addition to maintaining untimed local calls
(which encourage long interactive sessions), many telcos now offer bundling
discounts that include free or untimed calls to _any_ fixed line in the country
(at the cost of a higher monthly fee).  These plans are ideal for the serious
BBSer (are there any left? ;) ).  We had users up until the original BBS closed
in 1998, and dialup Internet users were commonplace until the mid 2000s, when
ADSL finally became affordable and commonplace.  I think some ISPs still offer
dialup, at least as a backup form of access, usually with a national untimed
number.

TL> My ISP has no plans to phase out public IPv4 addresses.  Even my iPad
TL> on 3G gets a public IPv4 address from them,

MvV> Lucky for you.

TL>  mobile public IPv4 is quite rare these days.

MvV> Here all the mobile providers have stopped issuing public IPv4 adresses
MvV> years ago. I have a 3G dongle from KPN for my laptop and i get a
MvV> RFC1918 or RFC 9598 adress. No IPv6.

That's the normal situation here too, but there are exceptions.

MvV>> Ziggo has been telling they will roll out IPv6 "later this
MvV>> year" for the last five years. Itseem that now they are actual;ly
MvV>> doing it and I have a little bit of hope that "this year" will
MvV>> actually be 2016.

TL> Let's hope so. :)

MvV> I am not holding my breath...

You're looking a nice shade of blue. ;)

... Daddy, what does "now formatting drive C:" mean?
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
* Origin: Freeway BBS - freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)