FGHIGate на GaNJa NeTWoRK ST@Ti0N - Просмотр сообщения в эхоконференции UTF-8
Введите FGHI ссылку:

Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции UTF-8 с датами от 19 Apr 14 00:41:48 до 01 Apr 24 00:03:00, всего сообщений: 1367
= Сообщение: 446 из 1367 ============================================= UTF-8 =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       06 Mar 17 15:54:04
Кому : Konstantin Kuzov                                    06 Mar 17 15:54:04
Тема : UTF-8 nodelist
FGHI : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:280/5003.4+58bd844c
На   : area://UTF-8?msgid=2:5019/40.1+58bd0b8e
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Hello Konstantin!

06 Mar 17 10:11, you wrote to me:

KK> Sysops already provided their latin names representation, forcing them to
KK> any auto transliteration script isn't a wise move. It can lead to
KK> frustration and even anger from sysops whose names suddenly changed
KK> without their request. If that thing takes off then I'll just setup a
KK> table in database and will store both representations there. Then just
KK> generate both versions from that database.

 I suppose that is the ultimate solution to keep everybody happy. But I am
 experimenting with what a UTF-8 nodelist would look like, and doing that
 I do not care about personal sentiments.

KK> Lets not assume anything based on current population situation. It is a
KK> point of UTF-8 nodelist thing to have virtually any alphabet isn't it?

 In the end we will all have heaven on earth. What some of us are doing now
 is to demonstrate that it is worth while to strive for it.

KK> Maybe tomorrow there will be plenty of chinese friends there, who
KK> knows?

 The current available Fidonet software doen not make that a likely event,
 and history has shown that style of communication does not fit with their
 culture. For upcoming communities, there are far better ways for social
 networking available.

KK> Maybe, but as Michael mentioned ascii-only version won't go anywhere. I
KK> think currently it's virtually impossible to change segments format and to
KK> convince Ward to change his software to produce various versions of
KK> nodelist from that one source. So the only way we can go for now is
KK> building utf-8 versions from ascii-only nodelist and extend it with
KK> additional information if wouldn't want to deal with out of sync issues.
KK> Maybe in distant future we can swap them to how it must be - building a
KK> limited version from extended one. But we are not there yet.

 Sync issues are just that, we have lived with them ever since we changed from
 an IC issued nodelist to the ZC issued versions. In the current daily issues,
 it is inevetible. And who cares for a short out of sync, when NC's fail to
 correct errors for two or three months.

 As for the use of a UTF-8 nodelist, with current software, I also see very
 little use. But if there is some progress to be made, one has to start
 somewhere. It s a chicken and egg problem. No one will tackel the full
 solution. Software that can make use of UTF-8 will not fall out of the
 blue sky. There have to be some steps made, that will challenge others to
 to do the next step.

 I do not beleive UTF-8 will concour Fidonet, but it is interesting to see
 if it can be done at all.

Kees

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)