Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8659 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            26 May 19 14:23:13
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               26 May 19 14:23:13
Тема : Not May but June
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5cea852e
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5cea59b2
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5cea97fe
On Sun, 26 May 2019 11:10:34 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> Hello David,

MvdV> On 30 Mach, less than two month ago you wrote:

DR>> Interesting point: Boris Johnson will not make any running at the
DR>> moment because he would like to have a longer career at the top.

MvdV> And now Boris Johnson has stepped forward. So he has either changed his
MvdV> mind, or his prospects for the long run have changed.

Don't separate the following sentence:

MvdV> Interesting point: Boris Johnson will not make any running at
MvdV> the moment because he would like to have a longer career
MvdV> at the top. Out of two names that were suggested a few days
MvdV> ago if Mrs. May *did* resign at this point in time, one was
MvdV> Michael Gove.

Note the phrase, "if Mrs. May *did* resign at this point in time". I was talking about (as you said) nearly two months ago. It was Harold Wilson who said "a week is a long time in politics". Due to the fast-changing pace of the political landscape, the fortunes of a politician can change drastically just in the course of a single week, let alone two months!.

DR>> Out of two names that were suggested a few days ago if Mrs. May *did*
DR>> resign at this point in time, one was Michael Gove. If Michael Gove
DR>> were to replace her, albeit temporarily, then that would be a piece of
DR>> Fidonet history. For the first time, an ex-Fido sysop would become a
DR>> prime minister!

MvdV> Mrs May has resigned and Michael Gove has stepped forward. So who knows... :)

Yes, and it was due to Michael Gove that Boris retired from the previous election for a party leader when Theresa May got in. I do hope that people won't forget Gove's back-stabbing then! First he was a keen supporter of Boris. But then he said that he didn't feel Boris would make a good PM and decided to stand against him. He's played Mr Nice Guy since then. I don't trust him.

A note on the succession of Conservative party leaders:

The first person to be elected leader of the Conservative Party was Edward Heath, the prime minister who led us into the then Common Market. Before that it was a mysterious process that simply relied on a recommendation from the previous leader.

But even now the election process is flawed. Presumably among the candidates that have put themselves forward, there will be those who are Brexiteers and those who are Remainers. The Conservative MPs get to choose two out of the eight which are then subject to an election by the grass-roots Conservatives throughout the country. But what if neither of the chosen candidates are who the grass-roots people want? What if the two candidates are *both* ardent Brexiteers, or *both* are Remainers?

The Labour Party didn't have this problem when Jeremy Corbyn was elected because they are more democratic. The Labour MPs did not want JC as their leader and have tried many times to get rid of him. He was elected by the grass-roots Labour supporters at their annual conference, mainly trade union representatives, and so the Labour MPs cannot get rid of him.

Another thing I've noticed: the UK domestic media are now interviewing many more Brexit supporters; a week ago they were interviewing more Remainers!

Some of our newspapers claim that it is *they* who decide who is going to win elections. One can see why now.

Politics? Why bother!?

David

--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<T3yl6St$69cGST7OfBm$Avh2E2>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)