Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8846 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            07 Aug 19 17:14:50
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               07 Aug 19 17:14:50
Тема : Every coin has two sides
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d4aeaea
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d4aac28
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d4d52e2
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 12:24:22 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> Hello David,

MvdV> On Wednesday August 07 2019 11:34, you wrote to me:

DR>> There are one or two theories flying around. Boris is announcing a lot
DR>> of money for various domestic things. Some say that he's going to call
DR>> a snap election even though he said he won't. I wouldn't put it past
DR>> him to call a general election AT THE TIME THAT WE SHOULD BE LEAVING
DR>> so that there will be no parliament to vote against a no-deal Brexit.

MvdV> Parliament has no power during the transition??

It's the government which has the power, i.e. the prime minister and the ministers he's appointed. Incidentally, he appointed only those who would support him for a Brexit on the 31st October, come what may.

DR>> Even after parliament is prorogued he will still be prime minister
DR>> with full powers until a new parliament sits. That's my theory,
DR>> anyway!

MvdV> That would be something... Does your country have something like
MvdV> "calling the state of emergency" which gives extra powers to the PM?
MvdV> Like Trump did to get his wall? Could he invoke that?

Probably. I don't think there's anything explicit - but then our constitution is not enshrined in a charter (or whatever it's called) like the US. If there is, the last time it was invoked would have been in World War 2.

MvdV> A theory that flies around here is tha BJ does not want a Brexit at
MvdV> all. He is manouvering into a position where he can not possible get
MvdV> the fiat of parliament and the Eu won't bend. So in the end he has no
MvdV> other option than call the whole thing off and he can blame Parliament
MvdV> AND the EU and say "they left me no other choice".

MvdV> Not my theory, I think it is too far fetched, but it is an interesting thought.

You're probably right - it is a bit far-fetched, but it's an outcome I could live with! ;-)

DR>> You could probably pick up our domestic channels via satellite. I
DR>> think the satellite footprint may spill over into the Netherlands.

MvdV> Yes, the BBC is on the satellite. But I am not willing to make the
MvdV> investment in a satellite dish just for the BBC. The problem will
MvdV> probably be temporary anyway. It "just" needs new licence negotiations
MvdV> between the parties concerned. That may take a few weeks. Or decades... >;-)

I understand that the BBC may open an office in Belgium or the Netherlands which would give them a right to broadcast in Europe - so it says!

DR>> I do that here in France. And it should be "lose", not "loose" in the
DR>> URL! So much for education!

MvdV> The aticle was probably written by a non native English speaker.

Not necessarily. I've seen that mistake from more native English speakers than non-native. And from many that should know better!

David (writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France)

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<3+3l62w$69sH2S7OP1v$A$Hix3>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)