Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 23 Apr 24 21:50:06, всего сообщений: 12489
= Сообщение: 8944 из 12489 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            14 Sep 19 11:07:12
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               14 Sep 19 11:07:12
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d7cadbe
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d7c17c2
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d7df4af
On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 23:42:54 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> On Wednesday September 11 2019 19:02, you wrote to me:

> [...]

MvdV>>> I am puzzled. My intuition says that a Scottish court has
MvdV>>> jurisdiction in Scotland. Not in the rest of the UK. Am I wong?

DR>> No, you're not wrong. But the ruling of the Scottish Supreme Court is
DR>> a precedent. When it comes to be discussed in the UK Supreme Court,
DR>> the precedent of the Scottish Court will probably be taken into
DR>> account. This is how the legal system in the UK works.

MvdV> I am still confused. So the Scottish Supreme court set a precedent by
MvdV> ruling on an issue outside their jurisdiction? I'd say that would make
MvdV> such a ruling null and void...

Since Scotland sends MPs to Westminster it's not really outside their jurisdiction. They were asked for a ruling which affects Scottish MPs.

Scotland is still part of the UK and any ruling passed in a lower court will be considered by a higher court. I wrote "taken into account", i.e. the UK supreme court will consider the reasoning behind the Scottish court's decision and either decide to agree with it or not as the case may be. It's simply a legal matter, not a political one.

MvdV>>> Is that the equivalent of a US Federal Court?

DR>> I suppose so, although Scotland has a supreme Court because of
DR>> devolution. England doesn't have one.

MvdV> What about Wales and Northern Ireland?

Scotland has always had more independence in legal matters than Wales or Northern Ireland and they had their own legal system even before devolution.

No, Wales and Northern Ireland don't have their own supreme court, however the UK supreme court will sit in turn in each of the four nations.

MvdV>>> If they can not choose, someone else will make the choice for
MvdV>>> them...

DR>> No, someone else won't. If the Labour Party win the next General
DR>> Election the leader (who will then be prime minister) will decide.

MvdV> If Labour wins the next election, the Leader can no longer decide to
MvdV> hold a referendum /before/ the election. /That/ decision will already
MvdV> have been made. Time machines do not exist.

Yes, sorry! I meant they will decide whether or not to have another referendum.

MvdV> If they do not specify the minimum conditions under which they want to
MvdV> stay in the EU, they make the same mistake as the Brexiteers when they
MvdV> made the people vote just "remain" or "leave" without specifying the
MvdV> conditions and the consequences.

I think that by now we are aware of the conditions and consequences! Would that we had known three years ago!

David

--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<vRzl6Kin69sibQ7O59i$Af6w2I>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)