Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 26 Apr 24 12:08:12, всего сообщений: 12490
= Сообщение: 8946 из 12490 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            15 Sep 19 11:45:20
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               15 Sep 19 11:45:20
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5d7e0830
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d7df4af
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:18:27 Michiel van der Vlist -> David Rance wrote:

MvdV> On Saturday September 14 2019 11:07, you wrote to me:

DR>> Scotland has always had more independence in legal matters than Wales
DR>> or Northern Ireland and they had their own legal system even before
DR>> devolution.

MvdV> "Devolution". That word was not in my vocabulary. I had to look it up.
MvdV> I understand that in this context it is not the opposit of "evolution",
MvdV> but an event that happened in 1780 when the legal status of Scotland
MvdV> was formalised. Correct?

No, it's more recent than that. Scotland has been wanting independence for quite a few years and so, in devolution, they were given a limited independence, i.e. they can decide on various things for themselves such as having their own assembly (parliament, with a first minister rather than a prime minister), passing their own laws, running their own education system, etc. Actually some of these existed (not the assembly) before but it has been more formalised since devolution. I can't remember off-hand exactly when this happened but it would be within the last twenty years or so.

Giving Scotland devolution has staved off the call for full independence but the Brexit debacle has brought it to the fore again, especially as Scotland voted to remain. But I think that Scotland has always considered devolution as a stepping stone to full independence. Full independence would mean that they would not benefit from any money coming from Westminster but since Scotland has its off-shore oil fields it has considered itself capable of full independence. Of course, Wales then wanted devolution, so it also now has its own assembly.

I'm writing this in a hurry as I'm shortly off to church so it is a little short of hard facts, but I'm just trying to give you the gist of it. In short, devolution means each nation or area is not fully centrally governed. Some areas of England (for example, the North) have been asking for devolution.

I guess that googling for "Devolution Scotland" might give you more information.

David

--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<L$4l6yNH69cExR7OTJs$APAeXe>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)