Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 9028 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            22 Oct 19 11:49:13
Кому : Gerrit Kuehn                                        22 Oct 19 11:49:13
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5daed096
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a754
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a755
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a756
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 22:54:28 Gerrit Kuehn -> David Rance wrote:

GK> Hello David!

GK> 21 Oct 19 12:28, David Rance wrote to David Rance:

DR>> defines it better: Great Britain is a geographical entity whereas the
DR>> United Kingdom is a political one.

GK> Really? My impression was that the Acts of Union (1707) state something
GK> like... I need to look that up... "United into One Kingdom by the Name
GK> of Great Britain". See
GK> https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Act_of_Union_1707#Article_1_(name_of_the_
GK> new_ki ngdom)

GK> This leads me to think that "Great Britain" is the name of a political
GK> entity as well.

Thanks for pointing that out! In fact I'd never read the Act of Union and wasn't aware of the original name, nor was I ever taught it at school - so I've learned something this morning!

However, I did say that the correct title is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (as on my passport) which is shortened to the "United Kingdom". And one can talk about "Great Britain" in a general way but it doesn't, these days, necessarily define exactly what we're talking about in terms of a political union. The Act of Union refers only to Scotland and England.

 I must say that I personally have been confused by the loose way in which United Kingdom and Great Britain seem to have been interchangeable. For instance, on boxes in forms on the Internet some of them list us as UK and others as GB (which makes it difficult when searching). The international abbreviation for the pound sterling is GBP but sometimes you see UKP. No-one seems to know what is correct. (Ok, don't tell me. I know that GBP is correct but not everyone does!)

When I was at school (admittedly some seventy years ago) I was taught that Great Britain applied to the largest of the British Isles as a geographical area, but it doesn't apply to the smaller islands like the Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, the Hebrides, etc. Seventy years ago I believed implicitly what my teachers taught me but time and experience have also taught me that my teachers weren't necessarily infallible! So for all my life, when I refer to Great Britain, I imply the geographical area of England, Wales and Scotland. If I refer to the United Kingdom then I am implying Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It doesn't help that my nationality is British (as on official forms). But Northern Irish citizens are also British although they don't live in Great Britain! The Northern Irish also put GB stickers on their cars!

So strictly speaking, you are quite right! For my own part I have always been confused about the use of Great Britain and United Kingdom and so, I think, are very many of my compatriots. Therefore I have tried to rationalise it in the way that I have, but it seems now that I don't have history on my side. For my own part, I like to think that I am English (and proud of it). I am not necessarily so proud to be British!

I am now going to console myself by baking some cakes! I have a checkup at the hospital tomorrow. If I'm fit to travel I shall be in Vienna from Sunday 27th until Friday 1st November. I wonder what my country will be called when I get back - if I'm allowed back!!!!

David

--
Formerly ICHTHUS (Reading) UK (1987-2007 R.I.P.)  (2:292/854.110)

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<DZxl6qrP69Mi5T7OxRq$AvY4FR>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se (2:203/2)