Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 12292 из 12492 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : David Rance                      2:203/2            10 Jul 23 15:45:34
Кому : Ward Dossche                                        10 Jul 23 15:45:34
Тема : Bulgaria
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+64ac0b7a
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+11360d3c
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:48:53 Ward Dossche -> David Rance wrote:

WD>>> So how would it look if you have something in your left eye?

DR>> You would never know.

WD> How about a cyclops?

No thanks! I prefer 3D vision!

DR>> Now that's interesting. Such programmes as Fawlty Towers seem to
DR>> translate well into other languages, but I don't know if foreign
DR>> audiences laugh at the same content as we do.

WD> I think it depends on how well a population does with 'English' because
WD> one cannot translate Fawlty Towers ... I've seen it in French and in
WD> Spanish ... horrible ... But the whole of Scandinavia, the Netherlands,
WD> Flanders are doing pretty well ... I have my doubts about Germany and
WD> the "Don't mention the war" bit ... I'm not certain how well that was
WD> received there ...

There was an occasion when we had German visitors from a Baptist Church staying with us and they wanted to see television programmes of British humour. We had Fawlty Towers on tape (as it was then) and I started playing the episode about the Germans ("Don't mention the war") before I realised what I was doing. I hastily stopped the recording and started playing another episode. Our visitors wanted to know why I had done this. I can't remember what I said but I was extremely embarrassed. I didn't know our visitors all that well at the time so I wasn't at all sure how they would take it.

Anyway, I think I got away with it!

WD> Unfortunately, I was given theatre tickets to a John Cleese show and
WD> the way it was he was just reading texts from giant auto-queues and the
WD> audience just sat there, staring, politely clapping while wondering "Is
WD> this the grand John Cleese from Monty Python?" ... you could see him
WD> die on stage ...

I can't really see John Cleese doing a one-man show. His humour just wouldn't work as it's essentially visual. (Think of the Ministry of Silly Walks.)

DR>> The Two Ronnies' humour is almost entirely to
DR>> do with the subtlety of the English language with very little slapstick.
DR>> Morecambe and Wise ..... well, their humour is really to do with the
DR>> absurd but with very little subtlety. Perhaps that's why you haven't
DR>> heard of either of them because they don't travel well.

WD> The Two Ronnies, I confess ... I do know them after all, are for the
WD> English market ... Fawlty Towers was backed by years of Monty Python on
WD> TV and the succes of the films like "The life of Brian" ... Monty
WD> Python was a sellable product.

DR>> Sorry, must get back to Wimbledon. (Now, do I mean that I am going to
DR>> Wimbledon or am I simply going to watch more tennis on the television?)

WD> Maybe you have a cat named Wimbledon ...

That's also a possibility ...

David

--
David Rance    writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

--- Turnpike/6.07-M (<z25l6WBf69sEUT7OXxl$AvnaKS>)
* Origin: news://eljaco.se:4119 (2:203/2)