Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 18 May 24 09:15:36, всего сообщений: 12499
= Сообщение: 3155 из 12499 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Gerrit Kuehn                     2:240/12           06 Dec 15 08:53:30
Кому : David Rance                                         06 Dec 15 08:53:30
Тема : How to properly read historical texts
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+54e0dee6
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+566367c0
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN-1 ================================
Hello David!

05 Dec 15 23:40, David Rance wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

Dear David,

DR> I am addressing my observation to all of you, not to you personally,
DR> Mr. Kuehn. You surely understand the difference between netmail and
DR> echomail?

[...]

Well, I already feared you would not pick this up as intended. Sorry for trying, I should have known.

DR> The fact that you interpreted my observation as a criticism does show
DR> that you do not understand the nuances of English. How can you? You
DR> are not a native English speaker

How can anyone? English is spoken (natively!) by many folks around the world, and it is different everywhere. I work in a quite international environment, and I am used to native and non-native English speakers from many countries. So please, explain the nuances you think I missed.

GK>> As a side note, I might add that using the conjunction "while" in a
GK>> concessive manner is considered bad style in both AE and BE by many
GK>> people. They think it should be used in its temporal meaning only.
GK>> ;-)

DR> Now there, sir, I would take issue with your temerity in daring to
DR> criticise MY use of the English language! (If you took my remark as a
DR> criticism then I am at liberty to do the same with yours.)

Sure you can, just overlook the emoticon...

DR> Tell me, what is wrong with this sentence: "I am living in Reading
DR> since thirty years." I haven't seen anyone on this echo get this
DR> construction right! The construction is correct in German and in
DR> French (and, for all I know, in the other languages represented here)
DR> but it is not correct in English.

Without looking anything up: I was taught at school (year 7 or 8, I think; I remember the teacher who talked about this) to use "since" with past tense and points in time only. For intervals of time I was taught to use perfect tense and "for": So how about "I have been living in Reading for thirty years." ?

Regards,
Gerrit

--- Msged/BSD 6.2.0
* Origin: And still they come and go (2:240/12)