Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 9190 из 12492 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Gerrit Kuehn                     2:240/12           26 Dec 19 19:13:30
Кому : David Rance                                         26 Dec 19 19:13:30
Тема : Brexit
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:240/12+5d59a7a7
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e04d20c
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN1 =================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5e05e232
Hello David!

26 Dec 19 16:30, David Rance wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

DR> A Happy New Year to the lot of you!  And I'm sure we'll still be
DR> friends even if the Brits will soon be foreigners!!  :-)

Same to you, and I concur with your expectations.
Also thank you very much for the long, detailed, and very interesting explanation. Of course, I was kind of playing a "devil's advocate" in the first place, but reading your text I realised that there is still some truth for me in what I wrote, and there are some things that are inherently different in our countires' political systems.

In Germany, a government or the parliament cannot simply resign to initiate new elections. We had very bad experience with that between the two World Wars, and after these, the level to get a premature election is rather high. Neither the government nor the parliament can simply vote for self-liquidation and new elections. If the chancellor resigns, the parliament has to elect a new chancellor. The chancellor can be replaced by someone else (even from a different party) by a majority of the votes in the parliament, but you won't get new general elections.
Almost anything can happen, but you won't get a new parliament elected ahead of time.

So from this background, it looks really fishy to see a country re-electing several times, obviously only (or mainly) to fix a stale-mate in the parliament because of a non-binding referendum's result. In that case, I'd always put an election result above such a referendum. If the current parliament cannot pass a bill, the bill will need to be fixed. If fixing the bill isn't possible, it will need to be put on ice. And I don't think that the parliament wasn't able to pass /any/ bill, the Brexit was the main issue there. "Get Brexit done" was /the/ slogan for the elections, there was hardly any other topic, wasn't it?
Having new general elections because of "we cannot agree on anything" is really letting the parliament appear in bad light. They're not doing their job properly then, and having new elections is the easy way to weasel out.
A general election is a much broader thing than just getting a couple of bills passed. In that sense, BJ's victory is the success of a one-trick pony. It'll be interesting to see what else he can achieve.

Regards,
Gerrit

...  7:13PM  up 254 days,  4:34, 8 users, load averages: 0.54, 0.47, 0.43

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: A love pays love for lying (2:240/12)