Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 12220 из 12492 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Vincent Coen                     2:250/1            24 May 23 17:15:46
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               24 May 23 17:15:46
Тема : Metric vs archaic (was: A computer I can recommend)
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:250/1@fidonet+646e3d7b
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+646e02d2
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: UTF-8 ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+64734b2a
Hello Michiel!

Wednesday May 24 2023 14:27, you wrote to me:

> Even more confusion. Pound Sterling vs pound lbs.

Well since metric Kg came in as weight it does not get confusing, usually :)

VC>> based on fuel burn at 7.5 gallon per hour despite the manuals
VC>> saying that it is based on US gallons which is a lot less than
VC>> imperial gallons ( 8 pints, at a weight of 7.2 pounds against 6
VC>> pounds for US ).

> Ah Gallons... US vs Imperial. Even more more confusion. :(

You have to remember that the majority of a/c both commercial and  G.A. are
American made, yes there are the odd manufacturer outside but if memory serves
they specify fuel burn if not by weight then by gallons (US) as the piston
engines are made by only two primary companies and both as yes, you guessed
it,
American. These are piston based, i.e., Lycoming and Continental.
Now for turbine they do not use gallons or litres but by weight and that
changes on temperature i.e., heavier in cooler temps so fueling in hot weather
pilots have to calculate actual loaded fuel if needed allowing for fuel burn
for distance to be flown plus distance to first and second alternative airport
(for bad weather or runway closed etc) plus orbit time (waiting for a weather
change etc which is between 30 - 45 minutes at low cruise power/speed at a
defined height.  Plus minutes for each child plus a pucker factor for
insurance against anything else going wrong.
Then allowing for what the airline demands as max extra fuel to reduce trip
cost (remember the heavier the a/c the higher the fuel burn will be).

Of course the flight crew can over ride this if it is deemed to be required
but you may well have to explain yourself to ops (operations).

For some airlines you get a bonus if you have saved fuel on the trip against
the computers estimate for the trip based on the computed all up weight at
start of the trip. It can be a reasonable amount but we are taking in low
percentages of gain, i.e., 1 - 5% all helps to wards paying for the next car
upgrade even allowing for the extra tax that you have to pay.

VC>> If they did it would mean that they should charge somewhat less
VC>> despite the overcharge of 300%. Based on UK litre of 1.75 - 1.95.

> A "UK litre"? Is that diffenet from an ISO litre?

The is only the  one standard for Litre - same as kilometer and this is based
on the length of arc around the world from east to west or the opposite.

Don't know where a litre came from or don't remember.

VC>> I try not to use a club aircraft at such a price as I still
VC>> remember flying at 6 pounds ph (around 1970) when I was trying to
VC>> obtain a civil license - This was in Barbados as I was a
VC>> Freelance Programmer for 9 months or so.

> Those were the days! ;-)

Should point out that flying in North America has always been cheaper - by a
lot, even allowing for airline ticket prices and cost of staying in a motel.

Here I am assuming you will fly around 30+ hours a week and when I go I tend
do more - or did when I was working.

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.8.3/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)