Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 28 Apr 24 22:34:46, всего сообщений: 12491
= Сообщение: 8780 из 12491 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Henri Derksen                    2:280/1208         18 Jun 19 20:12:00
Кому : Michiel van der Vlist                               18 Jun 19 20:12:00
Тема : Pvt node with a CM flag, but without connect info.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+5493552f
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d06c485
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: ASCII ==================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5d100b6d
Hello Michiel,

MvdV>>> "is"??
HD>> Yes.
HD>> Look at the website: <http://www.arkvannoach.com>
MvdV> Ah, that one. Nice try.
MvdV>> So where is it?
MvdV>> Where can I see this great attraction?

HD>> Try Wageningen, or read the website.
HD>> It is a Dutch ship build on an inland barge, about 76 m long, 11,45 m.
HD>> wide, about 2,50 m. depth, and about 8 m. high. It is the second one,
HD>> they first had a smaller one.

MvdV> You must have seen the old one. The second one is almost twice as big.
MvdV> 136 m long and 30 m wide. According to the website.

ok, I did not checked that, I knew it was a standard barge, I have seen.

The last one got in big trouble in the harbor of Urk.NL where a storm
pulled the pollers from the dike, and many yachts were broken by that high one.

MvdV> I suppose this is an answer to the question why anyone would want to
MvdV> have a zoo on a ship.

You may be, but I did not start that zoo on a ship question,
I only have given the answers I know of.

MvdV> Though one could question if a collection of domestic animals such
MvdV> as sheep and goats qualify as a zoo.
MvdV> The giraffe and elephant do not count, they are statues.

Ofcourse it can never be a 100 % zoo, there are always animals missing.

MvdV>>> Not the question of why they want it in the first place.
HD>> Of course for the same reason people ashore would want to run their
HD>> own servers.

MvdV> They are not the same people.

Mostly not no, but several are.
And today they want the same luxury as ashore.
I.e. at least mobile internet, central heating etc.
Have you ever seen the living room of a modern inland ship?

MvdV> People living a nomadic life on a ship are not the same people as
MvdV> people with a fixed residence.

The basic needs are the same for every one,
only the source may differ, or the amounts of it.

MvdV> Different people, different needs.
MvdV> Nomads have learned to do without things that require a fixed base
MvdV> of operation. The nomadic lifestyle is build around things
MvdV> that what (s)he can carry around.

Yes, but nowaydays it is much better possible to do the same things as fixed home living people do.
In my youth it was hardly possible the have a TV on board, or a car etc.
Nowadays that's normal to many inland ships, even the old active ones.

MvdV>>> Yeah, and pigs will fly and I will be an astronaut after all...
HD>> That chances are far more away, then the ones I mentioned.
MvdV> The point is that you can't speak for those that live a nomadic life on
MvdV> a ship without a permanent fixed base of operation.

Of course I can, I was born and grown up on inland freight ships,
and until 1971 we did not have a fixed home.
From my 7th year old I had to study and live on land for large periods,
while my parents were sailing to earn the money for our study, and all thwat was necessarry to live at a catholic school special for children from inland skippers.
Only in some weekend and all hollydays we were on board with our parents
mostly in some far away harbor, canal or river in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

MvdV> You are not in that position.

Not now any more, but I have family and many friens who are, and I go often whith them the whole year around. Next weekend for example.
You know my brother had two old inland ships, at which we spend many holydays for sailing and reconstructions.

I have a friend with an ICT job stand alone living on an old inland ship.
I told you before he used that Teltonica RUT950 4G GSM/GPRS/HSDPA/LTE router with both RJ45 EtherNet and WiFi.

If I was not multiple hadicapped, I could do the same,
I.e. running an ICT office only living at an old inland barge.

MvdV>>> But if running a Fidonet node in a data centre is what you can
MvdV>>> have and running it on your ship while on the move is what you
MvdV>>> can not have, what will you choose?

HD>> Of course it is possible to get a mobile node with a fixed IPv4 adres,
HD>> only the price for it may be very expensive,

MvdV> If the price is beyond affordability, then it is impossible in practice.

For me yes.
But for others who can spend more money it could be possible.

HD>> Who says that is not possible with mobile devices?
MvdV> As it is, you can not have an IPv6 address from a Dutch mobile provider.

That's a big omission, and that will slow down the IPv4 to IPv6 migration.

HD>> We already know IPv4 is hardly possible at mobile devices,
HD>> but IPv6 ?

MvdV> AFAIK, not yet.

Then ask for one.
You are the IPv6 promotor and also traveling by car and home on wheels for hollyday's and then fidonetting with a Point system.
If you had a fixed IPv4 or fixed IPv6 adress, you could run a mobile Node.

MvdV>>> For a server you need a stable routable public IP address. I
MvdV>>> I have not yet found a way to get one on a mobile connection. So
MvdV>>> forget it.

So ask you provider(s). If there is no demand, they will not start it.

HD>> A tunnel, IPv6 adress, or mobile Phone Number could be a solution for
HD>> that. The only question is, does somebody already tested it
HD>> successfully?

MvdV> Not that I know of. I am sure that if someone will manage to run a long
MvdV> time stable fully fledged Fidonet node on a mobile connection, we will
MvdV> hear about it.

I hope so.

Cheers Henri.

---
* Origin: Computing Apart Together (2:280/1208)