Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 10 May 24 12:05:39, всего сообщений: 12494
= Сообщение: 325 из 12494 ======================================= ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Henri Derksen                    2:280/1208         29 Dec 13 14:51:00
Кому : Benny Pedersen                                      29 Dec 13 14:51:00
Тема : Power out.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/1208@FidoNet+b58d9a06
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:230/0+52beeeff
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: CP866 ==================================
Hello Benny,

WD> Not that I can tell, but a fan is making an odd noise ...

BP> its replacelble, just make sure all data is aswell,
BP> if it all fails we can take dupes that day

For an important FTN system a backup machine could be an idea?
And/or even an UPS?

BP> funny here i had the same problem with fans and wery loaud noice,
BP> it went away on its own after some days, it still spinds,
BP> just no more noice from it, hmm :=)

That's normal, really.
I've considered there are three things important about fans:
1. Power supply (right voltage, right current),
2. Amount of oil or grease,
3. Ambient temperature.

BP> it like an old lady maybe ?

Noise making wheels on a vehicle are going on the longest.
In Dutch we say: "Krakende wagens lopen het langst".

My daily used Acorn RiscPC 600 from 1994 (Point 1) has its seconds fan.
This one does not run at start up now,
but I am to hard of hearing to remark that.
Then after 30 minutes I see a change in the picture on the screen.
When I power down the machine and start it up again after 20 sec, the fan runs.
Reason:
the oil and grease in it are now warm enough to let the fan rotate.
If this does not help, I have to open the lid and help the fan starting with
a thin wooden or plastic pencil by hitting it. Then it runs as useable.
Donot use a metal item, because of short circuiting any electronics!

On some fans there is a lable in the middle you can peel off, and feed some
sewing machine oil in it. Than it runs better, with less noise.
But this trick just only works for about some weeks/months.
After the second or third oiling time, the only solution is a new fan.

At UniCorn BBS the 80486 pc the fan stopped, killed the power supply,
and it was not turnable at all any more.
So I had to replace the complete powersupply.
Normally with CISC PC's the airflow is much stronger to feel,
than with may Acorn RiscPC.

Another trick I use, is to place a thin peace of paper at the side of the RiscPC to see if it will try to pull it inside, beacause I can not hear the internal fan running. That's my hearing fault of course.
The airflow is very hardly to feel or see with that paper.

The 80 GB harddisk (10 years old) is making noise and variable vibrations to,
especially if the room temp is lower than 20 oC.
Now I first warm up the room with an electrical heating,
and only if the room temp is higher than 20 oC,
I can start the machine safely, almost without vibrations.
Some people don't know that the room temperature is important and
must not be to low, especialle when starting up in the morning in a cold room.
Here at the the Hard of Hearing Club in the '80 's,
they killed the 5,25" HDD's of two machines when starting them up below 10 oC.
And after that break down, they runned the heating 24 h a day ;-(
That's the other way round. The point was they came only there on saturdays.
Starting the heating and wait until it is above 20 oC should be enough.
Running a machine 24h/7d is more reliable as we do with Fido machines,
but also then the ambient temp must not be to low or to high.
And donot forget the risks of fire, espesilly when sleeping or not at home.

The second thing I did was placing an extra external fan via usb,
to be sure in summer, and/or when the original internal fan does not start up.
Above 30 oC at the 3rd floor under a flat roof it becomes very hot here.
Note that Acorn ARM processors do not have a fan on them.

Off course I make as many backups as possible on other machines via networking
with Acorn ShareFS via tcp/ip.

I have a spare power supply and 4 extra RiscPC's here to replace it
immediately if really necessary, but I liked my old one the most.
I need some old hardware in it like SCSI, wich my Raspberry Pi can not offer.
So that's my story here. I am a fan of my fan ;-)
Good luck with it.

Henri.

---
* Origin: Connectivity is the Future; UniCorn BBS 31 26 4425506 (2:280/1208)