Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 26 Apr 24 12:08:12, всего сообщений: 12490
= Сообщение: 10674 из 12490 ===================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Kees van Eeten                   2:280/5003.4       08 May 21 13:27:50
Кому : All                                                 08 May 21 13:27:50
Тема : Keeping parrallel Nodelist production in sync.
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5003.4+60969027
= Кодировка сообщения определена как: LATIN1 =================================
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:335/364.3+84c2043c
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:292/854+153c3415
Hello All!

 After reading some messages the last few days, about submission of
 nodelist updates in Zone2.

 I will also explain how you can help. In a later message I will give some
 hints to those who want to produce daily updates.

 In early days I received copies of region and zone updates from Ward, to
 demonstrate the plug compatibillity of makenl by Ben Baker and makenl-ng.
 That exchange of updates continued after makenl-nl was demonstrated to
 be fully compliant.

 At a certain moment Wards sytems became inoperable and it would be some
 time before he would be home again to fix it. I offered to distribute
 the Nodelist for Zone2 to which he agreed.

 As his system was not providing me with region and zone updates, I asked
 RC's to send their updates to me. Janis provided me with the zone updates.

 After Ward's return, RC's resumed sending updates to Ward and were encouraged
 to continue sending updates to me as well.

 Makenl has internals that will send nodelist updates to the next higher level.
 In the config file this is done with:

 submit     <RC's address>

 This is not usefull if you want to deliver the updates at two different
 locations. One sysop solved this by using two different contrl files.
 The second one with a different submit address and a different outfile name.

 Others created a private file distribution and hatched the updates.
 They may have removed the "submit" for the primary destination, altogether.

 With submit the files are sent as an attachment and will arrive in the
 inbound directory of the receiver. In traditional setups, makenl will search
 the inbound for new updates. In my system and I think in Ward's as well,
 the inbound files are first moved to an archive and later offred to makenl
 for processing.

 Delivering the updates with a tickfile has it's charms, as long as
 you use a unique distribution name. Most common and unique is REGIONxx, where
 xx is your region number.

 If you are really lazy and use binkd as your mailer, you can define address
 specific outgoing mailboxes and just copy the updates there. On the receiving
 side this will not look different from using the submit statement, only the
 empty message that accompanies te file will be missing.

 Traditionally udates are sent using ARC compression, but ZIP is also
 acceptable. Today there are hardly any transport costs, and transmission
 speeds are high, so compression is not really nessessary. Moreover Binkd
 can compress files during transport.

 For daily updates I am not fond of compressed files, when moved to archives,
 the are only two digits to differentiate the files. As a result, after the
 first 100 days, files will be overwritten. But that is my problem, not
 yours.

 Some RC's submit updates only, when changes are made. Others submit on a
 weekly or daily basis.

 I prefer to receive updates at least on a weekly basis. It allows the
 receiving party to be able to monitor, that all processes are active.
 When updates are not received for over a year, one starts to wonder.

 With makenl (not everybody uses that) it is tradition to use Friday as
 publishing day, RC's use Wednesday as processing day.

 On Ward's as well as om my system, updates are included when available at
 the time the Nodelist is processed. Ward's system use to have a cutof time
 off 24:00, on my system the last inboud scan before nodelist processing is
 00:04. I think Ward has moved his cutofftime a bit, so files that are
 created at 00:00 and submitted subsequently are included in the currentday
 Nodelists. Submitting well before midnight is welcomed.

 All mentioned time references are based on MET/MST

 The above is based on my perceptions and opinions, Ward's may differ.
 I am sure he will let us know when that is the case.

 If you are still with me after this longwinded message, I will try to
 explain the pitfalls of creating daily updates a next time.

Kees
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5--b20180707
* Origin: As for me, all I know is that, I know nothing. (2:280/5003.4)