Присутствуют сообщения из эхоконференции ENET.SYSOP с датами от 10 Jul 13 21:42:12 до 03 May 24 12:02:39, всего сообщений: 12492
= Сообщение: 8556 из 12492 ====================================== ENET.SYSOP =
От   : Michiel van der Vlist            2:280/5555         20 May 19 14:06:36
Кому : Björn Felten                                        20 May 19 14:06:36
Тема : Stop Brexit now (if possible)!
FGHI : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:280/5555+5ce2a0b2
На   : area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5ce28ac2
Ответ: area://ENET.SYSOP?msgid=2:203/2+5ce2adfe
Hello Björn,

On Monday May 20 2019 13:08, you wrote to All:

BF> Ever since my eyes opened up towards the world outside of my little
BF> Swedish pond, somewhere around the age of 13 or so, I've been a
BF> dedicated Anglophile.

I was a bit later. IIRC I was 16 when I first visited the UK. I loved it.

BF>    It saddens me to watch how a few opportunists now are on the verge
BF> of alienating England from the rest of EU.

I say that is a bit of an oversimplification. It is not just a few opportunist and it is not recent either. There has been friction between the UK and Europe for almost half a century. Read on...

BF> One of the many things that not only EU, but the rest of the world,
BF> could "import" from England is the concept of "policing by consent"
BF> also known as the Peelian principles:

BF> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_principles

Excellent principle. Unfortunateley it does not work all that well in modern times when dealing with terrorists... :-(

BF>    England will be missed if they choose to leave our union. And not
BF> only by me, but by every Anglophile in our union. You still have so
BF> much to contribute not only to Europe, but to the world. <3

I have mixed feelings about it. As I said, I loved the UK. I enjoyed reading the literature. I enjoy watching the numorous "who done it" series. I hope the BBC will not disappear from the cable.

However... You may remember that three years ago, just before the referendum, I already wrote "if they wanna go, let them go". Even if it would be possible to stop the Brexit - I do not think it is - I still say, let them go.

The sad reality is that the UK has never been a loyal member of the EU. I can still hear Thatcher say: "we want our money back". And: "we want a better deal". It has always been that way. They always wanted the benefits and not the liabilities. Yes, they are a net contributor. Of course they are. All the rich countries are net contributors. That is if you only count what is on the balance of contribution vs received grants. But lots of benefits do not appear on that particular balance. The EU is not a zero sum game. Everyone gains.

The Brittish never joined the Euro, they never joined the Schengen agrreement. And more. They alway wanted an exemption. For this, for that, for almost everything. If they stay in, the cherry picking will go on forever. They will continue to demand more execptions. And than more and more and more. Eventually that will damage the EU. Other countries will demand exceptions too.

So I say: "Let them go, so that the rest of us can move on.

I think it was a mistake to give them more time. We should have let them go on 29 March. The delay is just delaying the inevitable. Nothing moves. All parties are deeply dug in in their trenches. We will have a hard Brexit on 31 October. We should have dealt with that on 29 March. Then the worst of the shock would have been over by now and we would not have Nigel Farage in the EU parliament sabotaging progress and holding the rest of the EU at ransom.

Yes, the UK will be missed.  But we will get over it and move on.